You gotta be kidding me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeSquad

Reaction score
So I was about to pitch my yeast when I realized that in my haste to leave the lhbs I forgot to buy any. They are closed on sunday. What the holy hell can I do? Can I leave it until monday? Did I just make an expensive beer scented air freshener?

So I was about to pitch my yeast when I realized that in my haste to leave the lhbs I forgot to buy any. They are closed on sunday. What the holy hell can I do? Can I leave it until monday? Did I just make an expensive beer scented air freshener?

Oh noes!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't have any brewing friends nearby that might have some?

This is why I always have at least 3 packs of US05 in the fridge.

Hmmmmm.....if I were you; I wouldn't give up yet. What temp is the wort?

Seal the bucket/carboy as completely as possible - get it in as cool of a space as possible, and get some yeast in there as soon as possible.

If you don't have any other yeast around, from a previous batch that you can bottle, then pitch some of that, some dry yeast, some yeast you can get from another brewing friend, etc, then you can seal it up after it cools and pitch when you get some yeast. You may want to think about buying 2 packs/vials to get it going quickly, seeing as you don't have a whole lot of time to wait for a starter to get going.

I've never done it, but I think you could be OK until Monday.

I would consider bottle dregs, but I'm not sure it would really be quite enough...unless you wanted to down like ten bottles of homebrew tonight.

Lesson learned? Keep a few packs of dry yeast on hand just for such an emergency.

Well, my latest brew, Yuri's Thunderstruck, sat for 4 days without any viable yeast in it. I had gotten a bad sachet of Nottingham, pitched, and waited 4 days with no change in gravity. I then cracked the stopper off and dumped in some S-05. It's been 2 weeks since I pitched the S-05, it's fermented down to 1.010, and tastes amazing.

I think as long as all of your equipment was clean, you should be alright.

Well, my latest brew, Yuri's Thunderstruck, sat for 4 days without any viable yeast in it. I had gotten a bad sachet of Nottingham, pitched, and waited 4 days with no change in gravity. I then cracked the stopper off and dumped in some S-05. It's been 2 weeks since I pitched the S-05, it's fermented down to 1.010, and tastes amazing.

I think as long as all of your equipment was clean, you should be alright.

Gosh I hope so. Thanks for the encoura...goddammit my wife just shat in the brew pot.
Nevermind, she eats pretty clean I think might be ok.

I do have another batch working (about a week in the primary) can I do anything with that?

Scoop some slurry out of the primary of the other brew and drop it in, it'll probably take off like a rocket! But, if it's a beer that needs a particular yeast strain, then you shouldn't have a problem waiting it out, as long as your sanitation is sound.

I had a Weizenbock that I pitched a vial of old yeast in (no starter --- don't ask....long story)...long story short, that wort sat in the fermenter for 4 days doing nothing. I finally pitched a pack of dry yeast and the thing took off and tasted awesome. Keep it cool and pitch on Monday...you'll be good, IMHO.

it should be ok anyway. keep it capped, and don't keep peeking in to make sure it isn't fermenting with wild yeast. pitch with good yeast as soon as you can if it's still ... still

If you have an extra fermenter take the batch that is in primary and siphon it in there. Take your current batch and siphon it into the primary you just emptied (do not clean/sanitize). There should be enough yeast in suspension in the first batch to keep it going, and enough in the bottom of the empty fermenter to get the new batch going.

as others have said, keep some extra dry yeast in the fridge for such occasions.

No I don't have any friends nearby that brew. Bummer. Is there anybody awesome near Springfield Missouri?

I live in NWA. About 2.5 hours from you. I have several types of washed yeast.

WLP 001
WLP 23
WLP 530
A sasion strain Wyeast I think.

Let me know if you want to drive down.

+1^
The batch in the primary can be transfered or you may be able to just stick your auto siphon right down to the bottom and suck up a couple of cups of slurry off the bottom.
I never tryed that but I'm sure it will work in a pinch.

What's in your primary and what is your new batch? As long as they are both similar, I would feel better about doing getting the new batch on some yeast.

Sounds like a beer you'll never be able to reproduce.:mug:

Good luck and let us know how it commes out.

Bull

Oh, hell yes! If you have a beer in primary, suck up some of that yeast cake and pitch it! That's prime, active yeast! Stout and porter are practically the same thing. The style of stout branched off porter.

Oh, hell yes! If you have a beer in primary, suck up some of that yeast cake and pitch it! That's prime, active yeast! Stout and porter are practically the same thing. The style of stout branched off porter.

So I should just siphon some off the top? How much?

How far along is it? Is there a good yeast cake built up in the bottom? I'd go for that if you got it. If it's really early in the ferment, then you can take a sanitized ladle and scoop some of the krausen off. It's called top cropping and it's a longtime brewing technique.

How far along is it? Is there a good yeast cake built up in the bottom? I'd go for that if you got it. If it's really early in the ferment, then you can take a sanitized ladle and scoop some of the krausen off. It's called top cropping and it's a longtime brewing technique.

I brewed it last friday the 15th. It's still bubbling every now and again.

Should have a good layer of flocculated yeast at the bottom. Autosiphon a pint or so of that and pitch it. Odds are you'll be fermenting like crazy within hours.

Thanks everybody i really appreciate it. I'll try it tommorrow morning when I get off work. I'm glad they don't block homebrewtalk or sherdog, otherwise I'd have to work or something stupid like that.

Edit: Just so I'm clear, I take a pint of the yeast on the bottom and put that directly into my porter?

Yep. What you have at the bottom of the fermenter is basically what you get in the bottom of a starter before you decant and pitch.

In breweries, they don't always pitch fresh yeast into a new batch. They'll dump some from a batch that's brewing and that goes in the new one. Just what you'll be doing.

Back