You cant win them all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that my good old stand by US-05 disappointed this time... I brewed up a Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone and for whatever reason the yeast just did not deliver. I swamped cooled the fermenter to around 66 degrees. Fermentation was "fast & furious", conditioned for 3 weeks in the primary, kegged, and I just can't get over the fruitiness of this brew.. the hops are barely present?? Oh well, I believe this just goes to show you that yeast are living creatures and they set the schedule and the test profile...hmmm

any thoughts?

That does not make sense. I have used US-05 a lot and it always produces good brews. 66 degrees is what I try to hold for temp. I like it because it is so neutral and ferments dry so the hops really shine.

Is it a recipe you have brewed before? Maybe it is something in the recipe that caused the fruitiness.

dead guy shouldn't really be too prominent on the hops from what i recall

its a Maibockish ale

BJCP for maibocks:
Moderately low to no noble hop aroma, often with a spicy quality
Moderate to no noble hop flavor. May have a low spicy or peppery quality from hops and/or alcohol. Moderate hop bitterness (more so in the balance than in other bocks)

the fruitiness however is def out of place

what was the recipe? what was your FG?

BradleyBrew - post your recipe. DGA is 40 IBU's.

Rogue whirlpools aroma/flavor hops at flameout; however, I don't know for how long. If 20+ minutes, it will contribute to bittering (minor) and flavor/aroma.

Well, I have to say that my good old stand by US-05 disappointed this time... I brewed up a Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone and for whatever reason the yeast just did not deliver. I swamped cooled the fermenter to around 66 degrees. Fermentation was "fast & furious", conditioned for 3 weeks in the primary, kegged, and I just can't get over the fruitiness of this brew.. the hops are barely present?? Oh well, I believe this just goes to show you that yeast are living creatures and they set the schedule and the test profile...hmmm

any thoughts?

If fermentation was fast and furious, I would be willing to bet that the beer inside the fermenter was far warmer than 66 degrees. Did you check the temperature of the fermenter during the active period?

I've used S-05 on probably 20+ batches ranging from cream ale, dry stout, imperial IPA and everything in between.

Gotta say that I've had some extremely clean tasting beers come out of it fermenting around 65 ambient. Not sure I'd blame the 05 on this one (based on my experience with the yeast).

If fermentation was fast and furious, I would be willing to bet that the beer inside the fermenter was far warmer than 66 degrees. Did you check the temperature of the fermenter during the active period?

I kind of thought the same thing. I have never gotten excessive fruity notes from us05 and I usually ferment it at 68.

Well this was my 2nd time using my swamp cooler but my basement does not get warmer then 70 degrees. I was gauging this temperature by the stick on thermometer on the carboy. I cant really see the wort being that much warmer then the rest of the liquid in the swamp cooler (with fan and t-shirt wrapped over the carboy). I just cant explain it... I know the IBU's where around 40..

Ingredients:

6lbs Marris Otter (mashed at 150)
2lb (light malt extract)
1lb specialty grains (at least .5lb of 80l crystal & .5lb german munich)
1oz perle 60min
.5 oz perle 30
.25oz saaz & .25oz perle at 5 mins

This is only my second beer that I have kegged in my corny.. maybe I am doing something wrong here? I'm not sure... Not going to give up on US-05 but something went wrong this time... Its drinkable but....

did you rehydrate your yeast?

if a lot died from direct pitching it's possible that you under pitched which according to wyeast could result in fruity esters
What factors are associated with ester (fruity) production?
Decreased pitch rate of yeast, increased fermentation temperature, and increased original gravity.

No, I did not rehydrate. I've honestly used S-05 15+ times and my results from direct pitching has been fine, but thats not to say it didnt occur this time there are 2 things that I changed during this brew...

1. the use of a swamp cooler
2. I used my carboy as the primary fermenter ( usually just use my ale pail)
3. I kegged this brew vs. bottling

thanks!

Back