You can post your comments about SA's new glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where can I post this?

4914-glass.jpg

;)

Evan! said:
Where can I post this?
Silly PR stunt? I find it to be a very good marketing campaign for a kick ass glass. I think no matter what Samuel Adam's does there will be people criticizing them.

I'd have to agree, the shape of the glass does effect the flavor of the beer somewhat. I don't know if flavor is really the right word.... Drinking a hefe out of a Wiezen glass as opposed to some random straight walled wal-mart glass is night and day, pilsners out of a flute makes a world of diferrance also.

I thing it pretty cool that Samuel Adams is at least attempting to bring the average American beer drinker out of the dark age of beer we've been subjected to the last hundred years or so.

Just my two pennies.

RichBrewer said:
Silly PR stunt? I find it to be a very good marketing campaign for a kick ass glass. I think no matter what Samuel Adam's does there will be people criticizing them.

I haven't even tried the glass, so I can't honestly speak to the accuracy of their claims...it was a joke. I do find all their claims to be a bit too ambitious, though. Turbulence as it reaches the mouth? Rounded shape maintains proper temperature? Uh, okay. I think it's a great thing that they've done...following Reidel's example. I jus think all of their red arrows touting this amazing beer experience seem to be a bit exaggerated, as far as one can tell. Maybe I'll be proved wrong. Maybe a rounded shape somehow does keep the beer at "proper" temperature longer. Maybe a beaded lip really does change the beer experience by creating "turbulence". I'm just not as irrationally optimistic as the red-arrowed ad poster is. And I have nothing against Sam Adams. I'm a big supporter of theirs. I don't have a bad thing to say about them. I just think they're overselling this glass, and making all kinds of technical claims that are shaky at best. The rounded shape and narrowing top are the most valid things about the glass...unfortunately, glassmakers have been doing that very same thing for a long time now. I have a set of glasses like that down in my basement, actually.

I also might be a little less hard on 'em if they weren't charging an arm and a leg for the things.

Evan! said:
I haven't even tried the glass, so I can't honestly speak to the accuracy of their claims...it was a joke. I do find all their claims to be a bit too ambitious, though. ....<snip>

It's marketing yo!

Personally, I am curious to try the glass but not curious enough to purchase a set.

I think they suck since I live in Texas and didn't get any even though I'm a AHA member. :(

I can't wait to buy some and soak the paint off in Starsan. :D

Evan! said:
I just think they're overselling this glass, and making all kinds of technical claims that are shaky at best.
I also might be a little less hard on 'em if they weren't charging an arm and a leg for the things.

X2!!! It will be a cold day in hell before I spend that kind of dough on a glass.

Capital Ale House here in Richmond had those glasses for "steal the glass night" last night and the downtown location is doing it tonight. I snagged three (with Sam Adams lager in them) last night for around $15. It would have been four but they ran out.

Here's a pic of the "laser etched ring" with Dude's Lakewalk PA bubbling furiously. Thought it looked cool. I like these glasses a lot.

4688-laser-ring.jpg

EDIT:
I also like this beer A LOT!

They are selling them for 4 for 30.00 dollars... 7.50 for a glass isn't tooo bad. Maybe its because I'm from New England, but do some research about glass where and you'll realize the shape of the glass effects the smell and taste.

S'cool glass anyways.

Sean

Evan! said:

$7.50 is an arm and a leg? Come on, man. Okay, so it's not a $2 IKEA tumbler.... but you wouldn't drink beer out of that either. OR WOULD YOU?!?!?:cool:

Back