Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled up my notes from when i brewed this recipe with WY1450 in 2013. OG: 1.054, FG: 1.020. So, 63% apparent attenuation. Sounds pretty similar to what you guys are getting 3+ years later.

Here's the fun part which I forgot all about until I just pulled up my notes: (quoting myself from this thread in 2013, adding bold for emphasis)

Getting ready to make this one today.

I guess my LHBS is better than many, no problem with any of the ingredients, and they have a good mill that i get great efficiency with. I decided to go with Denny's Favorite for the yeast, i have a huge starter going that i'm going to split, use half here, store the other half.

This makes for two of Yooper's recipies in a row, I made the broken leg amber about a month ago, and if i get a line assembled for the keezer in time, i may tap that keg and have a glass of it while i brew today. :)

I used that same packet of yeast for three SMASH APAs! (possibly a Rye IPA as well, but that's less likely based on brew dates). Here's the numbers for those batches:

OG FG Att. Style
1.059 1.009 83% (APA)
1.052 1.013 74% (APA)
1.077 1.015 79% (APA)
1.058 1.011 80% (Rye IPA)

So, attenuation was fine (even great) on the other batches, from yeast that was built up from the same packet, same starter!

Most recently, I did an imperial stout with WY1450 OG: 1.095 FG: 1.025 72% apparent attenuation. I have to put big asterisks by this batch though. It was an expired package of yeast that i got from free from LHBS and built up with a multi-step starter. The wort was the second runnings of a two mashes for a bigger imperial stout AND my temp controller flaked out a couple days into fermentation and dropped the temp to almost freezing.

So, I might believe that 1450 has lower attenuation with lots of specialty malts as this recipe has, and I might believe that it is more sensitive to temperature than other strains, since I didn't have great temp control in 2013. But I don't quite buy that's it's a chronic poor attenuator or that a recent "bad batch" caused low attenuation.

I used yeast nutrient in my batch, but I'm one of the ones that ended up at 1.022. No nutrient in the starter though, as I expect the smack pack has enough already.

Pulled up my notes from when i brewed this recipe with WY1450 in 2013. OG: 1.054, FG: 1.020. So, 63% apparent attenuation. Sounds pretty similar to what you guys are getting 3+ years later.

Here's the fun part which I forgot all about until I just pulled up my notes: (quoting myself from this thread in 2013, adding bold for emphasis)

I used that same packet of yeast for three SMASH APAs! (possibly a Rye IPA as well, but that's less likely based on brew dates). Here's the numbers for those batches:

OG FG Att. Style
1.059 1.009 83% (APA)
1.052 1.013 74% (APA)
1.077 1.015 79% (APA)
1.058 1.011 80% (Rye IPA)

So, attenuation was fine (even great) on the other batches, from yeast that was built up from the same packet, same starter!

Thanks for sharing all of that - it's certainly an interesting bit of data. I'm not sure what the takeaway is from all this other than WY1450 can be finicky with this recipe for whatever reason. Could be that it is less effective working on some of the sugars in the specialty malts too, as you suggested. I'm thinking the next batch I brew of this will definitely be split into 2 batches and fermented with 1335 vs 1450 for comparison.

This is a good beer. I took this to a Christmas party and it was gone in 4 hrs. I will be making this more.

I'm not sure why, but the color was more dark brown than black so Ill have to look into that.

From start to finish was 55 days.
I ended up with a 5.6% ABV.

I did make a tasting review if this if anyone wants to check it out.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYWuL21f3Mk[/ame]

Currently mashing my second batch of this right now. The first batch was made last year for a homebrew bar tour that my buddies and myself do every year and was a big hit.

This years batch is going to see some coffee added after reading guys having good luck with it. Thanks to Yooper and everyone else for the good info.

Shoot, I took northern brewer's word for it that the "Briess Black Malt" was the same as the black barley. What i think i got was black patent malt. So i used 8 ounces of it by accident. Is there anything i can do to maybe hide some of the black patent? Maybe add a little coffee or chocolate to the secondary? My OG came out at 1.064. Any advice?

Well not sure where i went wrong. Bottle bombs! Og was 1.048 fg 1.022. 4 weeks in primary at 68. Wtf!?! Pretty sure i didnt mess up the priming suger. But i must have. Getting about half a bottle after it stops foaming.

Bottle bombs are when the bottle literally explodes due to pressure from WAY over carbing or bottling before fermentation is complete.

What you have sounds like over carbing or an infection.

When I took FG I was a little bummed that I couldn't push a couple more points out of this brew, but now I don't think I'd change a thing. Great drinking stout.

1) ...I brewed this in June (still enjoying some bottles!) and again yesterday, however I altered the flaked oats & barley to 21% (from the ~13%) and increased the chocolate malts to almost 10% from ~7%. Again no issues with sparge, (or recirc mash). Trying to decide if I add 3 vanilla beans -likely soaked in vodka instead of Maker's Mark like I did in a stout- I need to stop with all the flavors, I think....

Quoting myself from late Nov. Now enjoying this brew. Worst part is this was part of a double brew day with my buddy and I shared the 60 bottles with him! :) This one turned out great, and I will keep my changes (no disrespect to the original!). I like the increase in chocolate (not overly sweet either) and the increased mouthfeel from the higher % of flaked oats and flaked barley. I also dropped the Vienna (no idea what that impact would be to my taste buds) and used about 65% of Crystal, based on 120L at 3% v 80 at 6.7%, not sure if quite linear, but I'm not much of fan of crystal. Interestingly too, I mis-calculated my water (I use a Grainfather) and my calc was left at 90 min boil input (boiled 60), which led to the greater volume (really a win!) and lower OG of 1.058, expected 1.064. FG was at 1.020, so again lower attenuation with 1450, and this one was a new smack pack with a starter.

Thanks again Yooper! Really great beer!

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the prior 29 pages of this thread, but searching didn't bring it up.

I have have lots of Cargill 2-Row Pale malt laying around. If I use that instead of Maris Otter, what impact will it have on the overall flavor/color profile? Has anyone made this with American 2-Row rather than Maris Otter?

Finally brewed this a few weeks ago. I can't say I noticed any difference with 2 Row vs Maris Otter. The beer tastes great and, unlike many recent posts, my FG was spot on. I scaled up to a 10 gallon batch, pitched 2 packs of Wyeast 1335 (no starter). OG was 1.053 and FG was 1.015. I'm really pleased with how this turned out. Very rich and creamy and not overly roasty or astringent. Almost too easy to drink. :mug:

I brewed this in Jan 2016 twice...was actually my 3rd and 4th ever brews. I am still drinking from those two batches and a year later it is still one of the best beers I have done. I have my last bottle of the 3rd batch in the fridge for this coming weekend

Thanks Yooper!

I kegged my batch this weekend, and it is tasting really good. OG/FG were both higher than expected.... started at 1.060, dropped to 1.020, and then I eked out another point. My (Beersmith estimates were OG 1.052, FG 1.015.)

This is the first time I have made a stout since I started studying water chemistry and mineral additions and I do think this batch came out better than the last time I made it.

Just took a crack at this recipe a few weeks ago, tapped a few days ago, and loving it ever since!
I made a few substitutions...Caramunich for C80, extra base malt for flaked barley, and some slightly altered hop additions. Pitched West Yorkshire yeast (WY1469) in lieu of British Ale, and mashed at 158F to encourage the formation of residual sugars. Man, that didn't seem to deter the yeast a bit -- it attenuated from 1.053 down to 1.013! The result is simply extraordinary...notes of coffee, chocolate, and toasted nuts abound. Fabulous mouthfeel, and decent head retention to boot (just look at the lacing!). Probably my favorite session stout so far.
Hats off to Yooper! Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486422198.378089.jpg

I turned this recipe into an "Extra Yoopers Oatmeal Stout" by increasing all aspects of the original recipe to achieve a tad over 7%ABV. After primary was complete (using Denny's 1450) I took 4oz of cocoa nibs and 2 sliced vanilla beans and boiled these in 8oz of water for a couple of minutes. I dumped the boiled water, nibs and vanilla beans into the fermentor and left for 2 weeks.

The end result is quite an amazing beer. A touch of chocolate without being overwhelming with a hint of vanilla (which I'll probably go up to 3 beans next time). The grain bill of this recipe lends to a roasty and velvety textured stout

Hopefully in another month or two I'll actually leave well enough alone and brew the original award winning recipe and see how different the original is from my modified recipe.

Method: BIAB
Style: Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.060 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.075 Final Gravity: 1.021 ABV (standard): 7.13% IBU (tinseth): 44.04 SRM (morey): 36.63
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
10.5 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 63.3%
1.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 9%
1.125 lb American - Victory 34 28 6.8%
1 lb United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate 33 207 6%
0.75 lb Flaked Barley 32 2.2 4.5%
0.75 lb American - Roasted Barley 33 300 4.5%
0.75 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 80L 33 80 4.5%
0.2 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 1.2%
16.58 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Warrior Pellet 14.3 Boil 60 min 41.44
1 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Boil 5 min 2.6

IMAG1192.jpg

I've brewed this recipe a few times. The last batch I added a couple things. Add 8 oz cherry smoked malt and upped the base grain to achieve 1.06 og. Fermented with WLP007 at 64 for the first few days to keep the ester production a little lower. Then ramped the temps up to help attenuate it a bit. free rise to 68 and hold until krausen drops. left in primary for 12 days and cold crashed to help drop and clear it out. Kegged and carbed @ 12psi for 2 weeks at 36 degrees. The smell of this brew was like leather. Slight roast aroma and the hint of chocolate mixed with coffee. The taste was similar to the original, but had a slight smokiness, and light ester profile from the yeast. The beer gets better after about 4 weeks in the fridge, the flavors meld and the roast malts mellow a bit. Not that they were that harsh to begin with. I really like it with 007. The yeast seems to add a depth that gives some richness, for lack of a better description.

Going to brew this tomorrow! I have a slight issue though. I ended up with about 6oz of chocolate malt instead of 2 :( my mistake due to rushing at the LHBS before work. Thoughts?

That would be the obvious thing to do. But it's all crushed together.

Not a big deal in my opinion. I once made a 5-gallon batch of Belgian dubbel and added 5.5oz chocolate malt. I could barely taste it at bottling. A few months later the chocolate malt taste was completely gone. So, I think the 4 extra oz you have will not add much flavour.

Well after doing one batch of yooper stout with london esb yeast, I did this one with 1450. What a difference. After 3 weeks in the bottle, it still seems almost a little cloying to me, even tho it attenuated well and ended up at 1.013. This is the first time I've used 1450, so maybe i fermented too high (started at 65 and ramped up after a few days to 68-69). I think i probably could have about doubled the hops without stepping on the malty sweetness.

Well she's in the fermenter. I mashed a bit thicker (by a bit I mean a lot) than Yooper and ended up having a super slow sparge, so I ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter instead of 5.5. OG 1.058. Should be fine though!

Going to brew this tomorrow! I have a slight issue though. I ended up with about 6oz of chocolate malt instead of 2 :( my mistake due to rushing at the LHBS before work. Thoughts?
Brew it and enjoy it! I changed this recipe up by adding more chocolate and more flaked oats and flaked barley, along with some other tweaks, and it is great!

Just popped this in the fermenter last night.
Got 1.058 Topped it off with a little boiled second runnings since it was at 1.060 originally. I think I stuck to the recipe 100% except I used Boston tap water with camden tablets.
Let's hope it'll be ready and delicious by the 23rd cause I have a party to serve!

Hello all! I'm about brew this recipe this coming weekend and wanted to get some thoughts. My LHBS only had one kind of chocolate malt and no pale...he claimed it was 300 or 350 Lovi...so I just did 12 oz of that. I don't have a ton of experience with chocolate malts and was wondering if this will end up being a meaningful/noticeable change. Thanks in advance!

Kegging now. Smells amazing. Ended with a little more abv.. 1.058 OG and 1.012 fg. About 6%. Oops.

Any results? I'm interested to hear if the chocolate had much of an impact. I ended having to go with 12 oz of 350 Chocolate as that's all they had....My fear is that it will make it bitter....

That looks tasty Treacheroustexan. I just put mine in the fermenter. First time monitoring/adusting mash pH and making water adjustments....I was at 5.3-5.4 for my mash pH and 5.3 post boil. Was pretty much dead on with my OG. I'm excited to see how this turns out. I ended up going out and just buying all new grains at another LHBS to include pale chocolate. I'm a little weird when it comes to following a recipe.... Though at the same time I picked up some lactose and additional grains to add to the grains I already have and will be making an Imperial Milk Stout that I plan on aging a bit...that's that I call turning lemons in to lemonade. :)
Cheers,
Tim

I'm about to brew this - rather than go through the 124 pages can anyone who has been here for a while let me know if any changes recommended by the OP since the first post? Thanks all!

Brewed this back at the end of February, after I got is kegged, I didn't much care for it. Thought it was just ok. I was a little disappointed with it because it has such great reviews. Well I have to say, it just needed a little time. I kind of ignored it in the keg and it has turned into a fantastic brew. Going through the keg way too fast now, I will need to brew another batch soon so it has time to age properly.

I just kegged 5 gallons of this. I followed the recipe except a glich in my brain made me use 12 0z of the dark chocolate malt. Mine came out at 5.0% I tasted the sample and meh................

LOL just kidding!!! It tasted awesome!!!!!!!!! @Yooper is a god!!!!!!!!!!!

I was pretty worried after tasting my original sample (which wasn't all bad) But with a og of 1.057 and a fg of 1.019 it is sweet goodness. I want to put it in the keezer right now and drink it as it is. I need to order another ball lock gas connector and it is going in. What is the preferred carb level for this brew? I really liked it flat so I was wondering what everyone is doing.

I was pretty worried after tasting my original sample (which wasn't all bad) But with a og of 1.057 and a fg of 1.019 it is sweet goodness. I want to put it in the keezer right now and drink it as it is. I need to order another ball lock gas connector and it is going in. What is the preferred carb level for this brew? I really liked it flat so I was wondering what everyone is doing.

I like mine at about 2.1-2.2 volumes, to counteract some of the body. It would be great however you like it, I'm sure.

Brewed this last Friday with a small adjustment (all Chocolate 350L)...got really lucky and stumbled on the last package of WYeast 1450 at my LHBS! Pretty excited to see how it turns out with this yeast. Hit all my numbers, actually a little better mash efficiency than I had anticipated so OG ended up @ 1.055.

Third time brewing this beauty, first time with Dennys Fave though.

Brewed this last Friday with a small adjustment (all Chocolate 350L)...got really lucky and stumbled on the last package of WYeast 1450 at my LHBS! Pretty excited to see how it turns out with this yeast. Hit all my numbers, actually a little better mash efficiency than I had anticipated so OG ended up @ 1.055.

Third time brewing this beauty, first time with Dennys Fave though.

Be prepared to raise your temps at the end of fermentation. I brewed this twice with Denny's and it stalled on me both times.

First time I got gushers because my gravity readings don't change over a week, I thought it was high but just ran with it. Ended up trying to dump the bottles into my bottling bucket and rebottle, didn't end up great but was drinkable and better than dumping a whole batch.

Second time I raised the temps and got 4 or 5 more points out of the yeast. The end result was much better.

A couple others through the thread have commented that they had similar experiences with 1450, so just food for thought as you it gets close to finishing.

Back