Yoopers Fat Tire Recipe Changes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foulplayer

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27648

I went to the store with Yoopers recipe in hand. The store was out of Victory malt. I remembered reading on here that Victory was just an american version of the biscuit malt. So I told the lady to just substitute the victory with bicscuit. Plus they were out of the Northern Brewer hops, so she gave me Chinook instead.

I guess what I am asking is will my Fat Tire be anything like Yoopers?

Thanks
DP

Might be something we all have to get used to. Substitutions that is.

I would not about the grains, Make sure the IBU, (or HBU) match up. You may have to use more or less of the Chinook.

I haven't looked at Yooper's recipe, so I don't know the specifics.

Brew away, I'm sure the result will please you. There are many Fat Tire Recipes out there. One of them might even have those ingredients in it.

Barry

Victory and biscuit are indeed the same so no worries there. I'm not familiar with chinook so I can't speak to that. If the northern brewer was just for bittering it shouldn't make any difference. The important thing is recalculating for the differing alpha acid levels.

Chinook is a bit higher AA% than Northern Brewer. You might want to use just a little bit less. Though it shouldn't be all that big of a deal if you just throw it all in. NB is usally around 7 - 7.5. Chinook is usually around 12.

bradsul said:
Victory and biscuit are indeed the same so no worries there.

I always thought victory gave the nutty flavor, while biscuit gave more of a bready flavor. They're really the same?

Lil' Sparky said:
I always thought victory gave the nutty flavor, while biscuit gave more of a bready flavor. They're really the same?
I thought they were different as well when I first read it so I did a taste test. I couldn't tell the difference.

Back