Yo ! Dogfish Head 120 ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree! I had it last year and it was not that bad. But still not impressed. I heard if you let it sit for a year it will mellow out.

I find it quite enjoyable. I pour it out in a snifter and enjoy it over the course of an hour and have a great evening.

never tried it, almost did at a baseball game but it was 12$ for an 8oz pour. With the reviews I have heard that seemed like an absurd waste of money.

And by then most of the hop flavor/aroma will have faded. I guess I just don't get the point... Haven't tried it though, I just can't bring myself to pay $8 for a 12oz.

$15 for a 12 oz where I live. I think I had it once a very long time ago, but my palate was much less refined then, so I probably didn't appreciate it for what it is. I want to try it again but, as you said, can't bring myself to pay that much.

The first one I had I was pissed. I was expecting this crazy IPA on crack. You have to first understand and except that it is not an IPA. Not even close. No real defined hop character. Having realized this, I really enjoyed my second one. It is sort an American Barleywine or something. Not an IPA by any stretch.

$15 for a 12 oz where I live.

Damn! Yeah up here in Maine there's a lot of beers I can't get, but DFH 120 is right at the local corner store in Lewiston. I don't think many of the locals know what it is, so who knows how long it's been on the shelf. It's probably nice and "pre-aged". I should really try it.

You have to first understand and except that it is not an IPA. Not even close. No real defined hop character. Having realized this, I really enjoyed my second one. It is sort an American Barleywine or something. Not an IPA by any stretch.

That's exactly how I imagined it! Good to know. I will have to try one.

It was one of those beers I had to try so I ordered a 120 with Pliny the Younger and Avery Maharajah side by side. 120 is definitely not an "IPA" but it wasn't bad either. Younger was much better and the ~10% Avery tasted like a session beer next to the other two.

They had it on tap at the DFH brewpub in Falls Church for a while this summer and there was, IMHO, a significant difference between the bottled version that I've had in the past. The excessive alcohol levels tend to overpower a lot of the rest of the flavor profile I think they were going for. I happen to know the manager pretty well, so we knew what day the kegs were getting there and got it within an hour of them getting it on line.

And by then most of the hop flavor/aroma will have faded. I guess I just don't get the point... Haven't tried it though, I just can't bring myself to pay $8 for a 12oz.

Not even close to true. I've had a 3 yr old 120minute, and the hops were definitely still there. Have you ever seen it made? It's practically hop soup. That kinda quantity doesn't "fade".

That being said, I would never ever drink a 120minute that was anything under 1 yr old. It's an aging beer.

Not even close to true. I've had a 3 yr old 120minute, and the hops were definitely still there. Have you ever seen it made? It's practically hop soup. That kinda quantity doesn't "fade".

Like I said I've never tried it so I certainly can't disagree with you :)

Save it for 5 years..no more and no less. I have a case from 2010 just waiting until it's 2015 and I'll start drinking and sharing with friends. 7 year old 120 minute = meh..under 5 year old = meh. Trust me.

Same goes for DFH World Wide Stout. Did this year an '06 - '12 vertical of it with a bunch of friends, the '07 was the clear winner. Five years out, it tastes like a rich and smooth porto dessert wine and the way it coats your tongue and makes it tingle, it's VERY heavenly. Went out and bought a case of WWS this year for enjoyment in 2017.

Like I said I've never tried it so I certainly can't disagree with you :)

Well, it's not like it's $25 or something. Honestly, it's one of those beers that's an experience more than anything. You're not gonna drink them hardly ever, but they're fun to try with friends.

First time I tried a 120, I made the mistake of doing it alone. I had planned to go to the movies shortly after. Needless to say, I never made it out of the house. It's something that's fun to share between 2-3 people.

The first one I had I was pissed. I was expecting this crazy IPA on crack. You have to first understand and except that it is not an IPA. Not even close. No real defined hop character. Having realized this, I really enjoyed my second one. It is sort an American Barleywine or something. Not an IPA by any stretch.

I had it on tap for the first time last night, this was my exact thought. I really enjoyed it, but I though Barleywine almost immediately. Not much hop aroma or character at all. At 15-20% abv, it's pretty much what I expected though.

Back