yIKE's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taper123

Reaction score
My Apfelwien and American Amber batches were properly aged and bottle conditioned just in time for Hurrican Ike. Had a tree pretty much cut our house in half, and the home brews came in handy... purely for medicinal purposes ya know. That was really scary, had one tree come through and missed the wife by a foot.

Moved into a travel trailer I borrowed from a friend, and will be trying to bottle two batches of beer tomorrow in a trailer. Lost my refriderated (thermal override freezer) for a few months until I can get the house fixed... but will at least bottle the last two batches I made. Hope to be back brewing in a month or two...

Man, that sounds scary. At least you have your priorities set.
1 Bottle the beer
2 Fix the gaping hole in the house
:D

Wow! I am very glad to hear that everyone came out alright, there. I cannot imagine how frightening that must have been. Hang in there, man!

TL

It just goes to show that once the coming zombipocalypse or any world ending calamity happens, we homebrewers will be all set. The sacred barley water (and hard cider of course) will be one of the keystones to our survival....When the water goes bad...there will always be booze!!!

Sorry about your house, but glad like txlaw said, that you have your priorities set.

Will be a couple more days before the insurance adjustor shows up. First level gave a check and told me to get a hotel room. We have dogs and a bird, so found a travel trailer instead.

Have roof tarped and waiting see the final damage report. Contractor estimates are all twice what I paid for the house.
It's a little more than just a hole in the roof. Snapped 2x6's like twigs and even went through the 2x12's that run through the house.

So figured might as well save the beer. Might need it after dealing with insurance, contractorsn and etc. A nice wheat and amber ale will have fill that need. Once I get one room of the house that I can safely power up... Of course I'm going to have make a batch to see which will be finished first... The beer or the house. I'll put money on the beer. Unless it's a lager, then it's about even. Three months in a travel trailer... Wow... Then again, if the wife and have made it 20 years already, will be no problem.

Btw... Took longer than expoected to clean the empties as most were covered in drywall/insulation. But maybe tomorrow I'll bottle.

Have fun :)

Back