Yet another Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guidos858

Reaction score
I did a partial mash receipe for Dave's Kickass Dark Ale which I got off the receipes page of this site !! Never done one before and this is my 3rd batch. Had fun with it. Made a couple mistakes but all in all I felt pretty good about the process.

So facts: The receipe predicted og 1.052. their batch came out 1.062. Their pred. FG 1.012 actual 1.010. Mine came out 1.055 think I lost some in the partial mash. I would say my efficiency was prob 65% didn't take a reading, should have. My fg right now as it sits after 6 days is at 1.016. I used a dry yeast us 5. I read the package and it said to pitch directly into the wort. It even printed it in 2 languages !! So I directly pitched the yeast. I've been really studying this forum and I feel like I'm admitting a mortal sin !!!

So my question is..should I pitch a second round of a different yeast to "finish the job" or if I just left it, the yeast that's left will finish up? Oh the bubbles coming out of the airlock are coming out at one a minute.

You are fine. It is fermenting. Just give some more time and it will finish. US-05 works great. Just sprinkling it on top is how many do it. I have done it many times and it worked just fine.

Let it sit for a couple more weeks, bottle it up, let it carb up and enjoy.

It's only been six days and you're down to 1.016. I'd say the yeast are doing their job. Give it at least a few more days to a week then check it again.

Don't try to fix the beer, let it fix itself. The yeast are very good at this.

There are so many threads about needing to add or remove or tweak something after fermentation is completed. 99.9% of the time the only thing necessary is time and patience.

Back