Yet Another "What Should I Brew" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanmyth

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was just looking through my freezer to take stock of my hops and found I have quite a bit to be getting on with. Figured I would turn here to ask some advice on how to best use some of these up. IPAs are the obvious choice, but I would like to brew some other styles, too. All styles are up for grabs. Help a brewing brother out! Hops are divided into regions, more or less.

English
East Kent Goldings - 82g
Target - 42g

American
Warrior - 80g
Chinook - 10g
Cluster - 14g
Cascade - 234g
Yakima Magnum - 20g
Summit - 56g
Citra - 28g
Horizon - 56g

German/Continental
Strisselspalt - 14g
Spalt Select - 273g
Sterling - 14g
Czech Saaz - 28g
German Smaragd - 450g
Stryian Goldings - 450g
German Northern Brewer - 28g

New Zealand/Austrailian/Pacific Region
Pacific Gem - 56g
Galaxy - 56g
Green Bullet - 56g
Pacific Jade - 56g
Pacific Hallertau - 56g
Sorachi Ace - 28g

You can obviously make a lot of IPAs, APAs and hoppy Saisons, but with all those Germans, I think a Doppelsticke is in order.

I just made a all New Zealand hopped Belgian IPA. I'm calling it the Pacific Belgian or something like that and in theory it sounded great and smelled terrific but its only been in the primary for a week now so only time will tell.

That really is a lot of hops with a lot of variety so it's tough to suggest anything because there are a ton of options. Just pick something you haven't done. Or go with whatever a Doppelsticke is...

Sort of a German IPA, but maltier. Click the link and read the part about Dusseldorf Alt, remembering that a Doppelsticke is the Imperial version. Your 273g of Spalt would be traditional. If you choose not to lager, I won't tell anybody.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style07.php#1C

To tell you the truth, I accidentally and unwittingly brewed one of those a couple months ago. I tried to do a 3 gallon no sparge version of the Kaiser Alt recipe on here, and ended up at about 1.075 instead of 1.050 or so. Add a healthy amount of mash hops (Spalt) and some finishing hops (Spalt, again) for the hell of it, it sounds like I stumbled upon a Doppelsticke!

Crazy to look back and realize that I have gone through all of these hops, except the German Smaragd.

Back