Yet another stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
So Ive got an oatmeal stout partial mash thats stuck at 1.024 and its supposed to be down to about 1.014. Ive tasted it and Its super tasty, probably my best brew yet and I was thinking about entering it in the local fair homebrew competition but its got a stuck fermentation!. I racked to a secondary and pitched the washed yeast cake and nothing is happening. I have some yeast nutrients but Im not sure how to go about using it for this situation. Any tips/help is appreciated.

Need more info. Starting OG, all-grain vs. extract, what you mashed at if it was all-grain, how much yeast you pitched, what temp you're fermenting at, etc.

it was the "honest oatmeal stout"

3 lb Light Dry Extract
2.5 lb Pale Malt (6 Row)
1.2 lb Flaked Oats (toasted)
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
1 oz Sterling leaf [7.00 %] 45 mins
1 oz Goldings leaf [4.10 %] 30 mins

mashed at a steady 150 for 1 hour, sparge with 170 that dropped to about 160 for 10 minutes, brought to a boil and added extract, hot break, added first hops and started 45 minute timer, at 30 minutes added next hop addition, chilled with chiller in 14 minutes to 65, pitched activated Windsor ale yeast.
Fermented at a steady 67F temp controlled room

O.G 1.058
F.G is supposed to be 1.014 according to beersmith. Im stuck at 1.022. about 1%ABV difference and the possiblity of bottle bombs

EDIT: I have used one pack of Windsor ale yeast previously to completely ferment a 9.5% barleywine so I dont think I underpitched

soooo does anyone know if using yeast nutrients are a good idea for my problem? and how I would go about using them?

Its possible that maybe the Windsor yeast was old. I'd get a packet of US-05, make a 1-2L starter of 1.040 wort and pitch it at high krausen while warming up the fermenter to 70 or so. I wouldn't use amalyse on a low OG beer. Yeast nutrients would be fine in the starter, but won't do anything to the partially fermented beer since the yeast in there have already gone through their replication phase.

awesome! would using Nottingham or more windsor yeast work? Its really the only thing available around here... although there are some scottish ale smackpacks too...

Well, I'll tell ya what I've started to believe, when you are brewing extract, if that extract was mashed at a high temp, (there's really no way to know for sure), there will be more unfermentable sugars in it. Is it not possible that is a contributing cause to 1.02 sticks? It may be that you could dump a lb of yeast in there and not bring it down any farther. I'm still learning but ....

Warm it up, I'd go as far as 74F to see if that wakes your yeast up. If that doesn't work pitch some healthy ACTIVE yeast from a starter or drop it on a fresh yeast cake, it'll drop with no problem then. Just my $.02

Well, I'll tell ya what I've started to believe, when you are brewing extract, if that extract was mashed at a high temp, (there's really no way to know for sure), there will be more unfermentable sugars in it. Is it not possible that is a contributing cause to 1.02 sticks? It may be that you could dump a lb of yeast in there and not bring it down any farther. I'm still learning but ....

I didnt mash the extract. I added it at the beginning of the boil, waited for the hotbreak and started my timer.

As for raising the temp, I did bring it up to 75 for 2 days and still nothing and the washed yeast cake that it was sitting on didnt work either:confused:. I'm going to try pitching a 1.5Lstarter with some fresh yeast an see where that gets me. Thanks for all the input!

Good luck! Pitch that starter at High Krausen when that yeast is really active, that'll be your best bet. If that doesn't work I'd either let it go, or use some Amylayse Enzyme.

Back