Yet another secondary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've never done a secondary before, but if I leave my brew in the primary for 2 weeks and it has reached it's final gravity, do I have to leave the secondary in a warm place or can I leave it in a cold place to clear for 2 weeks before bottling? I'll be using ale yeasts.

I've never done a secondary before, but if I leave my brew in the primary for 2 weeks and it has reached it's final gravity, do I have to leave the secondary in a warm place or can I leave it in a cold place to clear for 2 weeks before bottling? I'll be using ale yeasts.

If you choose to use a secondary after 2 weeks, it is really your choice whether you do it at room temp or colder, it won't really matter....

Many people would secondary it for nearly 2 weeks, then cold crash it for a day, let it return to room temp and then bottle...

but it is like so much of brewing...whatever works for you...try it one way, then try a different way on your next batch and see which you prefer.

that's why many of us no longer secondary unless adding fruit, hops or oak to a beer....we opt for a long 3-4 week primary then to bottle...it works for us and many feel that it is better that a secondary...because the extra time the beer is in contact with the yeast, we feel, give a great deal more conditioning/clearing effect than a secondary and we feel our beers look/taste better.

Latest posts

Back