yet another Sanke Fermenter Build..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrown57

Snake in the Glass
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At last I have all of the pieces for my Fermenter.
The goal is to ferment in SS vs Plastic buckets, ferment under pressure, pressure transfer to keg.
I am not really driving for Low O2 yet but it is on my mind for the future.
I hope to brew this weekend and split the wort to this fermenter and a plastic bucket to compare the results.
Take a look and see if I am way out in left field with this.
My diagram and pix are below.
The PRV valve is from McMaster-Carr #99045K11 0.5-60psi x 1/8" fpt
The piece in the top of the keg for the 3/8" ss racking tube is a poly cord grip x 1/2 mpt that works and seals great. The drain is a 2" tri clamp cap with a thrd nipple welded on for now.
the racking tube will be inserted, sealed, then open the ball valve and lower to within ~ 1-2" of the cake. Connect the CO2 tank to the 1/4" bv and connect the keg gas line to PRV and use the pressure differential to transfer slowly into the keg. Plan to remove the valve and fill the keg thru the dip tube.
I have it pressurized to 30 psi gonna leave it overnite.
Fermenting plan: Red ipa with either SO-5 'SO-4 or T-58 IG 1.075 FG 1.017
1-2 days open blow off to starsan jar until fermentation slows.
day 3 add dry hops and set to ~7 psi.
day 5 crank pressure to 15 psi and leave until finished or 5 days max on hops.
day 7 hopefully will be finished, cold crash and transfer to keg with gelatin.
ref for 48 hrs and tap.
Any insights or suggestions re dry hopping or clarifing with gelatin are welcome as well as pressure settings that differ from my plan.
Thanks in advance
jbrown57

ferm2.jpeg
ferm3.jpeg
ferm2.jpg

Nice! Did you make the plastic piece for the top? any drawings for that? specs? :) i have a hobby cnc machine and could probably make one, would take me a bit to design one trial and error.

Yes I have a model and drawings for the top piece. Let me know what file format you need.
In hindsight I do not believe I would go this route. The plastic collar is held on by 6mm weld on studs and sealed with a pair of o rings. If I do another I will simply cut the oval opening and de-burr.
Sealing was a challenge and creates lots of possible contamination points that are a pain to clean. Not a deal breaker as they are above the fermenting wort but a hazard none the less.
Good luck

I think your right about the possible contamination. I had thought about cutting the keg and just using the corny top like you said, but was wondering how well it would seal up, might have to flatten the out a bit where the lid will go?

there are several examples of folks just cutting the keg and using the lid.
i think the oring takes up most of the variation.
i have to put m6 locknuts under the legs of the lid to ensure a good seal on mine.
jb

Yes I have a model and drawings for the top piece. Let me know what file format you need.
In hindsight I do not believe I would go this route. The plastic collar is held on by 6mm weld on studs and sealed with a pair of o rings. If I do another I will simply cut the oval opening and de-burr.
Sealing was a challenge and creates lots of possible contamination points that are a pain to clean. Not a deal breaker as they are above the fermenting wort but a hazard none the less.
Good luck

I like this. I'm in the process of make a sanke fermenter as well and what I'm doing for the top (er...bottom of the keg!) is I bought a 8" SS triclamp ferrule with a blank cap. A hole is cut to size and the ferrule is welded to the bottom. Nice and clean. The blank cap can be drilled and tapped for whatever fittings are needed and it makes it easy to pull off and clean the interior.

Can you please send me the drawings to? if it is possible can you send a .stl files. Thank you so much

Back