Yet Another "Lager won't start" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstegelman

Reaction score
I've read a few of these threads and while I'm pretty sure I know what I should be doing, I wanted some opinioins/thoughts from here.

I'm doing my first lager where I actually can control the temperature, I've done a few in the past but they've always fermented above 65 in my house. I brewed Sunday (7/24) and pitched two (probably damaged) packets of liquid yeast. I know I underpitched this a bit, and i KNOW I should have made a starter. Question is, its been more than 3 full days and I checked gravity and I am still at OG. I pitched at probably 70 and then cooled to 50 after that. I've shaken the bucket a bit with no results. Fed up, I moved the fermenter into the house to see if warming it up would bring it back to life.

If this doesn't work after a day or so, what more can I do? I have a packet of ale yeast, but I don't really want to pitch that into my lager. The closest LHBS is over 2.5 hours away.

Any serious thoughts are appreciated.

Not really much you can do at this point except either wait, or pitch the ale yeast.

Lagers do require more stringent temperature control, and I usually pitch a LOT of yeast in them. Often, a 3 GALLON starter isn't out of line! So, you probably underpitched by quite a lot. If your sanitation was good, and the yeast was viable, it should get going eventually without too much trouble.

I'm in the same boat this week. Brewed my Victory Prima clone this weekend, and since I didn't have time to make a starter, I pitched 3 vials of Czech Bud after I got it down to 50F. I smell some CO2 coming out of the carboy, but otherwise there is no evidence of fermentation.

Bring it inside and give it a good shake. The yeast just need help getting started. I bet you can get it going without needing to repitch!

Not really much you can do at this point except either wait, or pitch the ale yeast.

Lagers do require more stringent temperature control, and I usually pitch a LOT of yeast in them. Often, a 3 GALLON starter isn't out of line! So, you probably underpitched by quite a lot. If your sanitation was good, and the yeast was viable, it should get going eventually without too much trouble.

This is why I started using Saflager W-34/70 almost exclusively. I re-hydrate two (or three if needed) packs on my stir-plate at slow speed for an hour and then pitch cold (50ish). Fermentation usually starts in less then 4 hours.

Thanks for the replies folks. Got home from work today and it still hadn't started. Sitting in the mid 60s. I gave it another shake and we'll see what happens. If nothing is going by tommorrow AM, I may pitch the ale and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies folks. Got home from work today and it still hadn't started. Sitting in the mid 60s. I gave it another shake and we'll see what happens. If nothing is going by tommorrow AM, I may pitch the ale and see what happens.

If you can get your hands on some W-34/70. Just re-hydrate it and pitch it cold. I have done it with two failed liquid yeast fermentations (Both had 1 gallon starters) and the beers came out great. It really sucks to make a one gallon++ starter, pitch it and 5 days later no change in gravity. :tank:

I saygive it more time. I underpitched my first lager and just when I was about to give up after about a week it started fermenting away. I quickly learned my lesson about pitch rates with lagers after that

what teperature did you warm it up too?

mid 60s.

I can't get my hands on any new yeast very quickly. I did notice a cake on top of the beer this AM, and some pressure in the airlock. I'm still sitting on it, will update with any progress.

Latest posts

Back