Yet another "is this stuck" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstache

Reaction score
11 days ago I brewed a brown ale at 1.050. Pitched a decanted starter of Wyeast 1968 (London ESB). Gravity tonight was 1.020. My recipe was for an OG of 1.055 with an anticipated FG of 1.016. Since I was low on the OG, if anything, I expected it to finish a little lower. It's been fermenting in the high 60s, perhaps even low 70s, for the last few days. I noticed my temp probe had fallen off the carboy, and when I hooked it up, was up in the 70s.

Is this stuck? This yeast usually finishes quickly, and my gravity sample is crystal clear.

Options: 1) wait a few days and check again, 2) rouse yeast, 3) toss in a pack of US-05.

Thanks.

Last edited:
At 1.020 (only 4 points above the projected FG), it's probably done, not stuck.

1.020 is not a bad FG for a brown ale, particularly if there were lots of less fermentable ingredients in it.

Option four: consider it done.

At 1.020 (only 4 points above the projected FG), it's probably done, not stuck.

1.020 is not a bad FG for a brown ale, particularly if there were lots of less fermentable ingredients in it.

Option four: consider it done.

Good point. I'm just a little sensitive about over carbed bottles recently. Getting the carbination right has been tricky lately. Seems like everything is either over or under carbed.

No harm in leaving it another week.

Extract batches can finish a little higher than all grain. I second it being done. You can always rouse and wait a few days if you want, but I wouldn't expect a difference.

Funny - I made a Brown Ale about six weeks ago, and it, too, was done at 1.020. I had my doubts, but tasting it now - it's delicious.

I would give it a quick rousing but I would bet it is done. I would give it plenty of time to condition, whether bottled or kegged. My bet is that it will be fine.-

Measured it again today at 1.020. Called it done and bottled it on the light end of the end of the recommended carbonation for an English brown (already a lightly carbonated style). If it wakes up the yeast, I should still be ok. If not, I'll just tell people that's how the English drink them. No one will know. :)

Follow up: the beer has hit perfect carb level, 3 weeks after bottling. Last week it was under carbed. Hopefully next week will much the same.

Back