Yet another IPA thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFWINZLOW

Why I oughta...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have been "doing" IPAs for the last couple of years. I am hooked.
To the point of drinking flat - just bottled 3 days ago - brewski...because I am out of CCB Jai Alai...mmmm.....beeeeeerrrrr.......

I've been trying to like IPA's for a while now. I just can't convince myself I like anything over about 50 IBU's

I've been trying to like IPA's for a while now. I just can't convince myself I like anything over about 50 IBU's

I think this is one of the reasons IPAs get a bad name. When they first started really getting popular, the great IBU war kicked off. Breweries tried outdo one another with how bitter they could make an IPA and how many IBU's they could stamp on the side of a bottle.
Everybody lost site of what a "hoppy" beer meant & started associating it with bitterness.

Hop heads nowadays want hop flavor and aroma from loads of flame out additions and equally large dry hopping regimines. We've learned that heavy bittering charges deter from a tasty hop profile as does crystal malts and low attenuation.

Fortunately syrupy and bitter IPA's are in the way out and dry, crisp aroma bombs are the jam!

Might not have a lot of support but then again folks will know where I am coming from.

Founders All Day IPA at 42 IBU is wonderfully tasty. Now granted, If I am going to have a single beer and nurse it for an hour, gots ta have da bitter. If I am hanging out and loving beer all day - All Day is my go-to.

IPA does not necessarily mean IBU - just lots of hoppy, hoppy flavor.

Latest posts

Back