Yet another fermentation question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ph0ngwh0ng

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a question. This is taken from www.howtobrew.com.

"Furthermore, primary fermentation is an exothermic process. The internal temperature of the fermentor can be as much as 10F above ambient conditions, just due to yeast activity."

In my setup, I check temperature with a thermometer I put in a glass of water on top of the fermentor. Does this mean I have to compensate for yeast activity by maintaining a lower external temperature so that the internal temperature gets in the range needed?

Also, I used Wyeast American Ale (1056) which has a temp range of 60-72F. The fact is I didn't check this and used the temp range from my last brew, which I fermented at 74F. I noticed fermentation started furiously in the first 24 hrs but now after 48 hours, almost no sign of activity (a few bubbles each minute). Also, the krausen has turned from beige with patches of brown to almost all brown. Should I lower the temp and if so, to which value?

Help me!!

I have a stick on thermometer on my fermenter with another thermometer taped to the inside wall of my brew closet. this gives me an idea of the temp of the fermenting beer as well as ambient temp to make sure im not stressing the yeasties

I ferment in my basement with an ambient temp of 64-66 year round. I have stick on thermometers on all of my glass carboys and it's pretty rare for one of them to creep above 70 during fermentation.

If you're fermenting in a room that's 72F you may want to think about putting your fermenter in a tub of water and cycle out frozen water bottles to keep the temp down. 1056 is pretty neutral, but it's hard to tell if a fermentation at 80F or higher would produce any off flavors until you get to taste it.

thanks a lot for the replies. in fact, i brew in my basement and the temp is raised via heating. i turned off heating so the yeast gets a more healthy environment. gonna buy me a stick on thermometer for my next batch for sure!

Back