Yet another "Does this look infected?" thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I brewed NB's Dead Ringer Extract kit on April 10th. Used Safale US-05 dry yeast. Primary and secondary fermentations have been a stable 64-66F the entire time.

Racked to secondary on 4/21 with a stable SG of 1.016. (OG 1.070)..

1 week after transferring to secondary(4/28), I dry hopped 1 oz of centennial pellets in a 1gal paint strainer bag from Lowe's. I boiled the bag, the glass marbles, and the thread I used to tie the top shut, and even layered a mist of starsan before opening the carboy to put the hops into the secondary.

The beer looked really clear and clean prior to dry hopping. No surface materials at all.

4 days after dry hopping, I take a peak at the IPA and this is what I see. They are orange/yellowish looking blobs on the surface of my beer. WTF??? Could this be residue from the hop oils?

I was under the assumption that at this point it wasn't as likely to have an infection due to the alcoholic content? ABV ~ 7.0%.

I don't know. Let me know your expert opinions.

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

The large white thing poking through the surface is the hop bag FYI.

thanks guys

Looks like yeast rafts that have floated to the top.

IMHO You're good to go!

heres a few more pictures closer up

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

The blobs kind of look like the lung butter that I cough up every morning. Is that consistent with the appearance of yeast rafts?

I bet you're fine. They look a little weird but it's probably just yeast. If they get larger and develop ropiness that hangs from them, then you're in trouble.

If you ever need to know whether you have an infection or not, look at the pellicle photo collection in the lambic forum. If it doesn't look similar to what you see there, you're most likely infection free, at least visually.

If you ever need to know whether you have an infection or not, look at the pellicle photo collection in the lambic forum. If it doesn't look similar to what you see there, you're most likely infection free, at least visually.

Sooooo what kind of conclusion have you drawn?

not infected.... got the same thing when i dry hopped. i assumed it was chunks of yeast. surprisingly (and fortunately) when i transferred to bottle, very little ended up in the final product.

Back