(yet another) DIY peristaltic pump!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrubins

Reaction score
First, gotta give props to those who came before:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ca...bike-brakes-homemade-peristaltic-pump-279120/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/spring-loaded-peristaltic-pump-proto-197784/

and others...

So, since I was feeling all inspired and whatnot, I decided I wanted to build a peristaltic pump on the cheap, because I'm cheap, and I needed a pump :)

Here's what I came up with - it's 4 casters on a wooden square, with some miscellaneous hardware inside a 9 1/2" cake pan.

Parts are :
9 1/2" springform cake pan. I picked mine up from the goodwill, but it looks just like this one http://www.webstaurantstore.com/9-1-2-light-tin-springform-cake-pan/407CPSF9.html
$3

4 2" casters from harbor freight : http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-light-duty-rigid-caster-41513.html
$12

5 ft 3/4 silicone hose from the LHBS
$18

Assorted screws, bolts, t-nuts, and washers
$5

total cost = $38

So, there you go, a working beer pump for less than the cost of beer supplies :)

I'll put together an instructible over the next couple of days on how to build your own, but I'm sure that most of you could figure it out. Next step is getting a motor to power it, not sure what RPM I need yet, and if I want to go AC or DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS, sorry if you can't hear me in the video, I'm suffering from a bit of laryngitis :(

Hey Jim ,
The video is working for my computer and phone, so I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe you can take a screenshot?

can you take some pictures? i can't view youtube at work :(

I love this. When I get some other projects done I'll probably convince myself of a need to do something like this.

can you take some pictures? i can't view youtube at work :(

I will do so later on today. I have to put together that instructable, which requires some pictures. I didn't take any during the build process, unfortunately.

On a side note, no youtube at work?! That's cruel and unusual punishment! How will you learn anything new without youtube to teach you how?

Are you planning on mounting a motor to it or using the drill? I have one in the final stages like the other thread with no motor yet. New baby got in the way.

Are you planning on mounting a motor to it or using the drill? I have one in the final stages like the other thread with no motor yet. New baby got in the way.

That's the next step - finding a decent motor. I'm thinking ac or dc gearmotor, but I'm not sure which.
AC = more plentiful, cheaper, and easier to control
no speed control

DC = speed control, more torque
More expensive, separate power supply necessary

I have been looking at it the same way. Stepper motors that are big enough are pricey. I have been looking at drill motors, they can be had for cheap on ebay. A wiper motor with its 70rpms is too slow.

I will do so later on today. I have to put together that instructable, which requires some pictures. I didn't take any during the build process, unfortunately.

On a side note, no youtube at work?! That's cruel and unusual punishment! How will you learn anything new without youtube to teach you how?

Awesome, thanks for putting up the pics! i've debated making one, but this is the easiest tutorial ever!

and i know, right?! at least twitter and vimeo isn't blocked. i can still have some fun at least...

In the "tour" video, it appears that there is already some wear on the cake pan bottom from the caster axles. Do you think this would cause any kind of failure? I wonder if some sort of bushing to separate the wood block a little farther from the pan bottom would help... Or am I overthinking it?

In the "tour" video, it appears that there is already some wear on the cake pan bottom from the caster axles. Do you think this would cause any kind of failure? I wonder if some sort of bushing to separate the wood block a little farther from the pan bottom would help... Or am I overthinking it?

Probably :) It's a $2 cake pan, if the axles wear through I can get another. I suspect that they won't wear all the way through, though. A second washer might help, but then I worry about 'wobbling' of the pump head, where the casters aren't aligned with the tube any longer.

this is a cool idea.. I service these types of pumps in the large printers I service and the hose gets strectched eventually making them less effective. and the roller do need to contact the sidewalls to prevent the hose from getting caught or pinched in between... usually the pump housings are plastic and show the wear from rubbing... and the flow rate is super low compared to other styles of pumps...What would you use it for?
Also Dont hate me for mentioning this but with the 8L and 12L per minute food grade 12 and 24v solar pumps out there starting at $21 shipped that will run off any cheap 1 amp or larger power supply or pc power supply are these really that practical and worth it? thats what I use and they work great.

this is a cool idea.. I service these types of pumps in the large printers I service and the hose gets strectched eventually making them less effective. and the roller do need to contact the sidewalls to prevent the hose from getting caught or pinched in between... usually the pump housings are plastic and show the wear from rubbing... and the flow rate is super low compared to other styles of pumps...What would you use it for?
Also Dont hate me for mentioning this but with the 8L and 12L per minute food grade 12 and 24v solar pumps out there starting at $21 shipped that will run off any cheap 1 amp or larger power supply or pc power supply are these really that practical and worth it? thats what I use and they work great.

I have an old lab one and use it for the cold side of brewing. I ferment 10 gallon batches in a chest freezer so the ability to self prime allows me to transfer my beer out of my fermentation vessel without trying to awkwardly lift 80+ lbs.

Back