Yet another did I ruin my Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
I read the "Did I ruin my beer" sticky, and this one isn't covered....
I was given some hops. I do not know what type they are.
I made a batch of light lager from a kit. No hops are included so I decided to try some.
Not knowing any better, I grabbed 10 or 15 and coarsely ground them and dropped the into a grain bag.
I steeped them for a few minutes near the end of the boil.
The beer is now at the end of the fermentation process, and I decided to take a taste while checking SG.. To say it is bitter in an understatement.
Will this temper with age?
Joe

yep, bitterness will fade with time. but don't judge it too quickly. give it time to carb up in the bottle and i bet it will taste fine.

were these whole hops? there's no need to grind them up, you can just toss them in as is. i wouldn't expect much bitterness to come from these hops if you added them toward the end of the boil. you could get some, but if they didn't boil for very long, i doubt that is what caused the bitterness you describe. did you also add hops at the beginning of the boil? is it hopped extract or something?

Thanks for the reassurance...
Although I have found that most goof-ups are fixed by aging, there are exceptions to everything. It never hurts to ask... Another Zappa Fan ...
Thanks again !!!
Joe

Back