Yet Another Did i Ruin It thread :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStarNJ

Reaction score
Only a few batches into all grain and i've been upgrading the brewhouse all along so my process is kind of a mess (it's different almost every time i brew so far as i add stuff.... yes i need to settle in) First time using a pump during the brew.

Knocking out an attempt at Ed Worts House Pale ale.

Everything was going great. HERMS was showing it was going to actually work for me. Dropped my IC into the HLT and pumped the wort through and back into mash tun. Worked great. Finish mash transfer to kettle.

Boil is going, started cleanup decided to use the pump to circulate the Oxy solution and clean what i could while spare time was there.

Fast forward an hour or so boil is over time to cool. Throw the IC in the kettle. and set the pump up to whirlpool. Notice quite a bit of foam.

OH &$%$ i never washed the oxy out of the pump and line. It was mostly dry (i hung it up after the circulation) but i never rinsed it out with fresh water :(

Fermentation is REAL slow starting 48 hours later no bubbles in airlock, but the brew closet smells good (yeasty) and there appears to be a layer of yeast on top when i peaked (hard to definitively tell with all the hop matter in there). Bucket lid is quite tight and always had bubble activity before instead of leaking past....

TLDR:
Will a small amount of oxy (just residual in a line and the pump, no real liquid just whatever sticks to the hardware and should be rinsed off) affect the taste? Is it bad for the yeast? Should i pitch more? Relax and have a homebrew?

Thanks!!

-DS

It could be possible you will have enough Oxy in the beer to cause digestive problems.
Run through the same cleaning and drying procedure with the pump and hoses that were used. Pump the same amount of clean water, equal to wort volume, through the pump into a collection bucket. Taste the water. Might be the only way to decide your next move.

Back