(Yet Another) Counterflow Chiller Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
So, I am working on getting my equipment back up to snuff to get back in the game since moving down to the Dirty South... I have been using an immersion chiller with less than stellar results and have been wanting to build a CFC for a long time.

No time like the present, eh? I have been reading Bobby M's tutorial and this is what the build is based on. The worst part so far was just getting the manifold over the soft copper tube. Even after drilling with a 3/8" bit to rid the reducer of the stop, I had difficulty getting it to slide over the tube. I ended up drilling a fraction over sized and it went on with no issues.

I had help from my assistant brewer (8 y/o daughter) with cutting the hose and feeding the tube through. I used a 4 gallon water bottle as a form ~ you can see it sitting behind the CFC in the picture. I have some thin steel strapping that I will be replacing the zip-ties with as soon as I can locate them in my boxes of tools, etc.

I also plan on adding a thermometer ala Tiber_Brew's recent post before I finish the build.

IMG_20100829_150139.jpg

Looks good. Welcome to the dirty south, although ATL is like a pristine oasis compared to the Magic City where I live!

Thanks guys, I am hoping to be up and running in the next couple of weeks. I still need to build a fermentation chamber for the garage among a few other details to hammer out (like adding a ball valve to my kettle.)

Latest posts

Back