Yes this another 1st AG Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

johndeere

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2010
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
After 2 Brewers Best batches (1 subpar 1 good) and 1 Northern Brewer extract kit (turning out pretty good) and 6 months... I decided it was time to move on to hopefully greener pastures.

I decided to go with Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. I think everything went allright, it took me about 4.5hrs including cleanup to batch sparge in a cooler and boil down. I've learned that I needed another pot and burner. That cost me at least 20min.

The only real problem I had, was I followed his instructions to the T. On my first running I got out about an extra quart that didn't get absorbed by the grains. So i cut back some on my sparge water, but I somehow got about 6.75-7 gallons into the pot. I need to address that with my next batch. So I just boiled down to the 6.5 gallons I was supposed to have and then started my hop additions. Other then fighting off an intense hot break (now I know what everyone was talking about), everything was great. I lost maybe 2 degrees in my cooler.

I actually ended up with an OG of 1058 as opposed to Ed's stated 1051 @75% efficiency. I didn't take a preboil hydrometer reading, is there anyway to determine my effeciency. It would appear I got over 75% with such a high OG reading, which is more then fine by me.

I started boiling my first runnings as I was stirring and draining the second running, so I was hesitant in putting a hydrometer in 190degree wort.

Critique me if you'd like.
 

bovineblitz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
2,411
Reaction score
143
Location
Binghamton, NY
Your experience sounds exactly like my first AG! I got an efficiency of 85.6% and oversparged a little bit so I had to extend my boil.

Sounds like you did a good job overall :mug:
 

Palefire

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
14
Location
SF, CA
Congratulations! I'm guessing the extended boil probably contributed to your high efficiency. And you don't need a pre-boil reading to calculate your efficiency - just calculate the amount of potential sugars you could have gotten, and divide the amount you did get by that number. Ok, that sounded really complicated - just google it. Lots of on-line places to do that.
 
OP
J

johndeere

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2010
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Well judging by the calculators, I got around 85% on my first AG batch. That's unbelievable. I must thank everyone on here for there comments and suggestions over the years. I've been scouring these forums for about 3 months soaking up all the information I could handle. Now I just need to get a few more tried and true recipes under my belt till I take the next step and start making up my own recipes.
 

Latest posts

Top