Yes...my first fermentation geyser...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vfinch

Reaction score
Well... maybe not a geyser...

So this morning I checked on the carboy I just put into the crawlspace yesterday and there was tons of headroom left. Oddly enough, this was right after reading a ferm-lock vs blow-off thread...

Then I come home to this:

IMG_0149.jpg

Oops....

After dropping the ferm-lock in some sanitizer, I cleaned up the mess and took the lock upstairs to clean. The only problem was, where was the bubble cap? I found the lid next to the carboy, but I couldn't see the cap anywhere... Then I checked the heat duct above the carboy...

IMG_0150.jpg

And yes, I always transfer to a blow-off tube if needed after 24hours... This one just decided it wanted to ferment a little faster than normal...;)

No worries...

I knew something was up when I walked into the house and said to myself, "That smells like loss of beer!". I was successfully able to clean it up, in between crying fits...

I had my first semi geyser yesterday as well. No pictures of it actually happening though my first instinct was to swap to a blow off tube instead of let's take a pic (I fail). but this is after the incident.

IMG_1562-360x480.jpg

Hey fatherbigfoot, the recipe isn't on the site yet since I'm still tweaking it... Though I'll have to admit it's one of my favourite recipies.

My buddy DC is cleaning yeast off his ceiling tonight from the explosion of yeast from the Vertical Epic brew we did last night. I told him "you’re going to need a blow off tube"... "Ahh I'll wait till I get off work" he said. Ya to clean up the mess.... LMAO

Back