Yes it's one of those posts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
I admit I get overly curious and I tend to press down on the lid if my fermenter to push out some gases so I can have a whiff. Well In doing so this time it sucked back some starsan am I screwed? I mean I feel like I shouldn't worry since it's been in the fermenter for 5 weeks, I think, but I can help and trip out.

Where do you place your probe?

Its fine. Star - san is basically phosphoric acid, nothing was alive in the airlock, nor is a few drops enough acid to change the flavor of 5 gallons of beer.

Starsan is a no rinse cleanser. It won't hurt anything. If you're worried this will happen again someday then you should use vodka in your airlock.

Starsan is a no rinse cleanser. It won't hurt anything. If you're worried this will happen again someday then you should use vodka in your airlock.

StarSan is not a cleanser. It is a no rinse sanitizer.
B-Brite, PBW , etc, are cleansers, ie, they remove particulates before sanitation. They do require rinsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you everyone!!! Now if only I could get the bottles to bottle this darn batch!!

Where do you place your probe?

You people and your app signatures, screwing everything all up...

Yes, you'll be fine. Same reason as why you can completely not worry about Star-San foam. It's an effective sanitizer (NOT a cleanser, the two are NOT the same and should never, ever be confused as such) because of its low pH. Once you dilute it far enough beyond the recommended 1oz/5gal concentration (a little foam diluted into a lot of beer, or in this case a little suckback from the airlock), it ceases to have any sanitizing power, and instead breaks down into food for yeast. It's really not enough to HELP anything, but it's certainly not going to HURT anything either.

Back