YELLOW WATERMELONS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagnarTheRed

Reaction score
YELLOW WATERMELONS from my local produce stand! They're supposed to be sweeter and taste more like honey. Testing alcohol potential of the juice. Highly considering making a mead with them.
UPDATE: 1.030 SG from the juice itself and no additional sugars. Most likely going to do at least a 1gal experimental batch. Can't decide whether or not to try it in primary because several have said elsewhere that watermelon does terrible in primary and stinks horribly. Definitely going to save and freeze a few quarts of juice to use for backsweetening though.
IMG_20200609_172320164.jpg

Last edited:
Never tried those, but looks like a worthy experiment. What is the specific gravity?

fwiw, Beersmith3 has watermelon at 1.006 SG. That seems about right, and quite contrary to some web postings that suggest as high as 1.040 (!)

Cheers!
I had actually read it wrong but I double checked and they were actually 1.030 as opposed to the 1.054 that I thought they were around.

That's still VERY high for watermelon juice. How did you extract the juice? Most sources I've seen says you have to gently heat the crush until the pulp "separates" from the juice, or something like that.

That's still VERY high for watermelon juice. How did you extract the juice? Most sources I've seen says you have to gently heat the crush until the pulp "separates" from the juice, or something like that.
That's basically what I did. I washed my hands and just scooped pieces out of the middle and crushed them over a glass. I also poured what juice built up in the cavity as I went. They're pretty damn sweet for a watermelon so it didn't surprise me that they were pretty high. I believe I'm going to freeze and save enough juice for back sweetening on a traditional, because the juice from them really does have honey qualities to the flavor, but I've had several people tell me that watermelon doesn't ferment well. Then again, I might just go for it and see what they'll do in primary with a gallon.

Back