American IPA Yellow Rose IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 67oF
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 67oF
Yellow Rose IPA
Recipe 2006 by Mark Pannell
An American IPA using only Amarillo hops.

Grains:
13 lbs. Schreier American 2-row pale malt (1.8-L)*
1 lb. U.S. crystal malt, 2-row (40-L)
1 lb. Wheat malt (2.0-L)
1/2 lb. CaraPils malt, 2-row (5.9-L)
1/2 lb. Biscuit malt (24-L)

Bittering hops:
.5 oz. Amarillo [9.8% AAU] (FWH)
.75 oz. Amarillo [9.8% AAU] (60 mins.)

Flavoring hops:
1.25 oz. Amarillo [9.8% AAU] (30 mins.)

Aroma hops:
1.25 oz. Amarillo [9.8% AAU] (10 mins.)
1.0 oz. Amarillo [9.8% AAU] (0 mins.)

Dry hops:
1 oz. Amarillo [9.8% AAU]

Fining agent:
Irish Moss (15 mins.)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast

Primary: 7 days at 67oF
Secondary: 14 days at 67oF

Total boil: 90 minutes

* Roast 3 lbs. of the American 2-row at 350oF for one hour and cool. Keep the oven door slightly ajar while roasting. Heat ~4.5 gallons of water to ~168oF. Mash grains at ~152o F for 90 minutes. Recirculate until clear, ~20 minutes.
Sparge with ~7gallons of 172oF water. Add hops and Irish moss to schedule above. Cool wort to ~68o F and pitch yeast. Add dry hops at secondary. Bottle when beer falls clear. Prime with 1-1/4 cups plain light DME.

How did this turn out Roob? I bought a pound of Amarillo and have brewed three batches with it. I am not very impressed, kinda mellow. However, mine isn't anywhere near 9% AAU, it is more around 4%. I am partial to that "slap you in your face" character of columbus or one of those 12+% AAU hops in my IPAs.

How did the roasting work out?

Sorry to be so late responding, I didn't see this until just now. It turned out great; I've brewed it twice now!

Only 4% AAU?! That ain't right! You need to at least double up on that. The 9% gives it a nice, hoppy flavor. Citrusy, but not as much as Cascade. I really like it and it has become my favorite IPA of all that I've brewed.

The only thing I plan to change is the dry-hop phase. It obviously won't affect the taste, but I plan to double the hops to at least 2 oz. This current version has that smack-in-the-nose hop aroma, but it fades over time. Maybe doubling the hops will make it last longer. I used that amount of hops when I brewed Brewpastor's 777 and it seemed to make a difference.

Back