Yellow Ice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I was involved in a discussion about coolers and blue ice as opposed to ordinary water ice, when I made the tongue in cheek suggestion of using canned beer..... "yellow ice". Naturally I had to find some "support" for this idea on the net, and googled up this link:

http://www.livingoverland.com/2011/08/freezing-beer-for-your-cooler.html

Interestingly the beer apparently does not suffer degradation provided you thaw it and give it some time. It doesn't work with light beer.... the cans will burst.

H.W.

If you're going to do this, be careful.

I had a case of Labatts cans in my garage a few years back. They froze solid.

I had the bright idea of bringing them into the house to thaw. I got impatient, and decided to run the frozen beer under hot water to speed up the thawing process. Bad Idea!

The iced cans were already stretched to the max. The hot water caused the gas in the beer to rapidly expand. The cans started going off like hand grenades. Razor sharp pieces of aluminum shrapnel whizzed by my head. Chunks of beer ice flew everywhere (Some hit the the ceiling). I ducked for cover. They kept popping for a few minutes.

My wife was pissed. Oh the humanity! :D

Back