Yeasty Wine :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
So... I made this Muscadine wine last summer and bottled it last December. All the bottles have been aging on their sides and have accumulated this nasty layer of yeast in the bottle. :drunk:

cimg0748-55780.jpg

I've had one bottle upright and been tasting it every month or so to check it's progress. That bottle also has a layer of yeast at the bottom and is just finally starting to lose some of the acidic harshness and taste pretty darn good.

So my question is... can I give the other bottles a good shake, and let the junk settle to the bottom, then open and rebottle them? The batch was stabilized with sorbate and k-meta when bottled. :confused:

brazedowl said:
So... I made this Muscadine wine last summer and bottled it last December. All the bottles have been aging on their sides and have accumulated this nasty layer of yeast in the bottle. :drunk:

I've had one bottle upright and been tasting it every month or so to check it's progress. That bottle also has a layer of yeast at the bottom and is just finally starting to lose some of the acidic harshness and taste pretty darn good.

So my question is... can I give the other bottles a good shake, and let the junk settle to the bottom, then open and rebottle them? The batch was stabilized with sorbate and k-meta when bottled. :confused:

Was it clear when you bottled?

It was clear and I let it sit on sorbate & campden for a week with no more fermenting. I don't know what happened.

Edit: It LOOKED clear? haha

I usually let my wine sit for about a month, minimum, before I think about bottling once I add sulfide and sorbate.

Next time let your wine sit longer before you bottle.

As you now know.....you bottled too soon. To answer your question........If that stuff that has settled out is quite compacted I wouldn't shake it back into solution. I would carefully open and carefully pour into a carboy that will hold all of your bottles, treat with maybe 1/2 rate camden to reduce oxidation, let sit a month and rebottle if you have no new lees form. If you get a noticable amount rack again and wait another month.

Back