Yeasty taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCat

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I've been brewing and drinking a lot of green beer as I'm new and too keen...

However, I've had a few bottles stashed for my xmas stash, and I broke out a bottle of Australian larger (Coopers) that should be now quite well cool condiotioned and it's tasting a bit yeasty. I'm just wondering why this could be?

That's my primary question.

It's one of my first few brews, I didn't 'crash' it as I'm still not quite clear on that, before I bottled it, but I'm wondering as it tasted less yeasty when I was drinking the greener stuff...? Other than the yeastyness the carbonation is brilliant and it's totally clear! All should be peachy.

Any ideas? any questions welcome :)

Cheers folks

(I think 'crashing' is effectively cool conditioning (whilst still in the primary fermenter) for a few days?)

Can you describe the flavor a little more than, yeasty? Are you making sure to chill them for a couple of days before opening? This will help drop more yeast out of suspension, and will help make the yeast at the bottom of the bottle a little more compact. Then you need to make sure and pay attention to when the yeast starts making its way into your glass, and stop pouring at that point.

Ahh well I'm new to the game, and my flavour description is a bit lame, I'm not sure what more to say really, it has the distinct flavour of yeast, and this seems weird as it wasn't there before I'm sure.

I took fair care when pouring it from the bottle but maybe was a bit too keen, it's been cooling in the shed at about 7 degrees or so over night, maybe less for a week or two, and before that the yeasty taste was less prevalent. I'm not sure how else to put it! Maybe I just didn't give it enough time yet for the sediment to harden, but it looked fine when I poured it.

I guess if it's not an obvious problem I just poured it too keenly...

You mention cold conditioning. Did you bottle condition at about 21C for a few weeks before chilling the bottles?

You didn't add any extra yeast at bottling did you?

I would guess that you just stirred up yeast from the bottom of the bottle when pouring.

I did 'warm condition' so to speak yea :) I'm sure I did everything by the book, I guess I was just hoping the sediment would have been harder, does it ever get that firm you can pour without fear from a bottle?

I did 'warm condition' so to speak yea :) I'm sure I did everything by the book, I guess I was just hoping the sediment would have been harder, does it ever get that firm you can pour without fear from a bottle?

What exactly was your process from the time you pitched the yeast until now, including how many weeks in each stage?

It will compact enough that it won't be a ****-ton of yeast in my glass. And then I usually try to pour with some light shining behind the bottle so I can see when the yeast are about to be poured in. Actually I don't care about the yeast ending up in the glass, because since I cold-crash and use gelatin, I don't have to worry about much yeast be roused up into the glass. The only time I care is when I want a picture of how clear my beer is! haha

speaking of, why don't you take a picture of the beer in your glass, and maybe we'll be able to see if it's a ton of yeast in suspension or not.

Back