Yeasty taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flarmonster

Reaction score
Can someone give me a hint here? This is the second batch of cider I've made that has had a strong yeasty taste.

First batch: Whole Foods Cider, pitched 1/4 packet safale-04 in each gallon- fermented out for about 2 weeks until almost done, bottled with apple juice concentrate in one gallon and honey in the other. Let sit at room temp for 10 days then cold crashed when carbonated nicely. VERY strong yeast taste, almost like an apple beer. Not very pleasant but drinkable. I didn't see the taste get any better over the next month or so.

Second batch: Grocery store apple cider, pitched 1/4 packet safale-04 in each gallon and fermeted out until completely done and then some- about 6 weeks. I just bottled this today, but it has a yeasty overtone too :(

The first batch, I was sloppy with my siphon and sucked up some yeast cake. This second batch, my samples were clear and tasted yeasty even before I siphoned into my bottling bucket.

Any thoughts?? :confused:

How careful were you keep the yeast cake that will develop on the bottom of the cider intact? I try to always avoid breaking up the yeast and getting it in the bottles. Try fermenting in a glass or clear plastic carboy and watch for yeast cake to form then bottle without siphoning any of the yeast.

I have used Lalvin 71B and EC-1118 with Whole Food's organic apple juice.

Try slowing the fermentation down if possible. Rack repeatedly and reduce the temperature if possible.

And maybe you simply don't like what the Safale 04 makes. I have a pack but I haven't tried it.

I too, add 1/4 packs of yeast or even just one gram.

Thats a good point, Joe. I think I'll try a different yeast. And I should probably rack more- I have been very lazy about that.

Thanks!

I have found with S -04 that if you stop fermentation before the hydrometer reads 1.010 it tastes good. Below 1.010 it has a strange butterscotch taste. Even after a good bit of aging it still has that same taste.

I think it might be your temperature. I made a cider that had a heavy banana tone which was because i let it ferment at room temp. It is mellowing out but i know it wont go away.

Back