Yeasty Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast! Has the beer cleared yet? How long since it's been bottled/kegged?

Assuming the beer is properly aged (and poured), if the beer sat too long on the yeast cake under unfavorable conditions, this can cause a yeasty flavor.

more information would help.

what was the recipe? what yeast was used? what fermentation schedule did you follow? how long has it been in the bottle?

Patience, my young Jedi.
I don't even open the first bottle until it's sat for 2 weeks.

What would be concidered to lenghty of time to sit on the yeast cake ?

It is not so much the time as it is the temperature. Beer can sit for a looong time on the cake and be fine. An ideal to shoot for is to keep ale yeast under 70 F once fermentation is complete. Cooler is better. You want to keep the yeast happy. No temperature swings, no sloshing, no 02 etc.

It is not so much the time as it is the temperature. Beer can sit for a looong time on the cake and be fine. An ideal to shoot for is to keep ale yeast under 70 F once fermentation is complete. Cooler is better. You want to keep the yeast happy. No temperature swings, no sloshing, no 02 etc.

The temp may have been the problem then. Room temp was between 70 -75 back when I brewed it in August, possibly a day or two when it spiked up abit before I arrived home and put the AC on..

How long did you let the beer in the bottle sit in the fridge before you opened it? If given enough time to chill, a lot of the yeast will fall to the bottom, cleaning the beer even further.

Back