Yeasty cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
I just opened the first bottle of a small, experimental batch of cider I made. I used a fresh pressed gallon of juice and a simple champagne yeast (montrachet or cote de blanc). After it finished fermenting I melted down some of those cinnamon red hot candies and added the syrup to my cider. Fermentation took off again. After more than 3 weeks in the bottle and sitting in the fridge for more than 24 hours, the cider is still very very yeasty. Is this simply due to the secondary ferment after I added the cinnamon candy syrup or did I miss something?

Ive done the red hots melted and it f#€ked up the flavor, i was so looking forward to it being good too, and it ruined it big time. I believe i dumped it. At least you only did a gallon. It must be something with the candies, no idea what, but it didnt work.

The flavor is there. I can taste it behind the yeast. It's sorta similar to the AO Cinnful that's out right now, but as it's bottled carbed, less sweet. Even with the cold crash, the flavor is super yeast dominated though. Maybe I'll open another later and just pour off the top of the bottle to see if maybe I just happened to get a bunch of sediment swirled up into suspension.

How long since it finished carbing? I noticed in mine that it can take another 4 weeks after bottling to have the yeast really fall out of suspension.

if it was a 11.5 gram pack of yeast to a 1 gallon batch, you might have had to much yeast to start. its similar to yeast bite in a beer

Back