Yeasts are mysterious beasts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what makes a mead finish earlier, etc. I'm really no closer now than before. This was my experiment.

Started three traditionals, a Spanish needle and a Tasmanian leatherwood. 5 days later I started a batch with slightly carmelized rewarawara . They all had identical recipes, just different honeys. -Water, honey, nutrient, lalvin 1122.
Same aeration schedule.
Same OG (1.100)
Same nutrient additions.
Same temperature, fermented on the same table.

What were the results? The first two are still slowly fermenting(about 3weeks in?) almost done. The rewarawara that was started a week later was done and clear in less than 10 days. 0.998.

Why? The pics are the rewarawara and Tasmanian leatherwood today.

image-2815085829.jpg

image-1625266570.jpg

The answer is the honey. Different honey, different flowers, different chemical composition. A certain honey might have more moisture in it than another, or different levels of unfermentables like wax, etc. If you wanted to run a solid test on how different yeast strains effect clarification, then have the same honey for everything and try different yeasts. Maybe title should be "honey is awfully funny" because it sounds like you are testing different honeys, not different yeasts.

Rewarewa is quick. My 20l batch should be done around the 9-10 day mark I think as well. Stepped nutrients until 1/3 fermented and slight degassing. No sign of slowing down at the 7 day mark.

Back