Yeasties Alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchadscud

Reaction score
I bottle harvested Julius Echter yeast from 3 bottles about a week ago and everything was going fine with the step ups. I was going for 1 last dose of wort and didn't have enough room in the flask. I refrigerated overnight, siphoned off the beer and added another round of starter wort (3oz DME, 1/4tsp nutrients, 3 cups water) boiled and cooled of course. It's been sitting for about 2 days with no sign of fermentation.

The liquid in the flask has the sweet wort smell and not a beer smell. Any idea why the yeasties won't eat?

That's a good thought. I siphoned out most of the beer from the previous starters though. There was maybe a half inch of liquid and yeast before I put in the fresh starter.

It's like a stuck mini-fermentation unfortunately. I'd like to brew the batch tonight and pitch, but if the yeasties won't ferment a starter I doubt they would ferment 5 gallons...

I may try warming the starter a bit. It's sitting around 68 degrees right now.

1.5oz DME in 2 cups water, waited 2 days
Added 1.5oz DME in 2 cups water to fermented mixture, waited 2 days
Refrigerated overnight and siphoned off all but 1/2 inch
Added 3oz DME in 3 cups water (this is where I am stuck)

Nutrients were included, DME was boiled and cooled, etc.

The mixture I siphoned off smelled and tasted like beer. What's currently in the flask is still dark in color and smells like wort. I could take a hydro reading, but the smell and color seems to give away the fact that it hasn't fermented.

Correct. I boiled the wort in a separate vessel, cooled and then added to the vessel with the yeast.

It is possible that the yeast were simply overwhelmed and pooped out early. I'll assume that you were working with starter wort in the neighborhood of 1.035 - 1.040 to make life a little easier for the yeast. The volumes of wort seem a bit large for the tiny amount of yeast that 3 bottles would have yielded. You have to coddle bottle-harvested yeast a bit, because they are stressed and the cell count is very small. When I build starters from slants, I do 10-fold increases: 10mL to 100mL to 1000mL, averaging two days between each step.

I'll take a reading when I get home. If it had fermented out, shouldn't it smell more like beer and less like wort though? I've also noticed that the color lightens up quite a bit with all of my other starters.

If the reading is high, any other ideas what could be going on?

If this is the case, I'm guessing pitching into 5 gallons isn't going to do me any good. Are they goners or can I revive them somehow?

Give the starter a shake and some time, they might pull through. Bottle-harvesting is an exercise in persistence and patience.

Thanks for the insight sir! I've been shaking and waiting for the last few days. There's about 1/8 inch of yeast at the bottom of the flask so I'm hopeful. I may siphon out the current wort and try to go back to the 1.5oz mixture.

Gravity of the starter liquid is 1.041. I guess I'll give them some time to fire up and if I don't see any activity in a few days I'll start from scratch.

Back