(Yeast + Yogurt) + Beer = No Drunk?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with your findings, even with a sample size of 1. The science just doesn't agree with the idea of yeast ADH doing anything for you.

Yep, I suspected it was bull. I was waiting for someone to try it as i knew the extra yeast were gonna give "somebody" the sh&ts. But hey, here's to taking one for the team!:mug:

Do it again... NEVER! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I didn't need to try it to know it was BS. Would be nice though, save the liver...

I may buy a breathalyzer and try it again....:rockin:

That's the way to do it! If I had a breathalyzer, here's how I would do it:
Buy a six-pack of something ~6% ABV. For the control, I would document my breakfast/lunch/dinner and non-alcoholic drinks for the day. I would set an amount of time to drink each beer. Say, 30 minutes per beer. I'd try the breathalyzer at the 1.5 hour mark and again at 2.5 or 3 hours. Maybe again at 4 hours if I'm still awake.

I'd then try to duplicate the experiment as closely as possible, including meals and drinks during the day. Then, prior to drinking the three beers, I would try Jim's method of 1 tsp. of yeast per 12 ounce beer that I was planning to drink (mixed with yogurt). Repeat the measurements and see if there is any difference.

There would obviously be some other variables at play based on metabolism that are a little more difficult to control, but it would be nice to do the experiment in a mostly-controlled fashion.

Ideally, enough people would do the same experiment to get a statistically significant sample size, with half doing the control first and half doing the yeast first.

Dammit, I just realized that I let my inner engineer slip out.... :D

Koch might be full of-sh** on this one BUT I did start drinking the yeast from my bottle conditioned beers and have never been happier.

I would wake in the AM with headaches even if I only had 1 or 2 homebrews. Then I noticed that my German step-dad would pour the yeast in his glass intentionally even though I told him that I heard he shouldn't (from NB videos and the like). When I asked him about it he said that everyone did the same while he was growing up in Germany! (peer pressure?)

Fast Forward: I read this article and then it came up in my local homebrew club forum. The veteran 'know it all' then told me that the Germans had "figured it out" and that's why they're beers are so yeasty.

Anyways! Don't leave the yeast behind! I am happy to be able to drink 6-8 homebrews (when it is necessary) and wake up without a headache!

Personally, I'm more interested to know how he can drink so much beer and not get fat.

I'm not necessarily skinny, but I get this question often. I do regularly exercise and eat healthy.

I think if anything the vitamins in the yeast may assist in hangover prevention, but otherwise when one of my friends asked wher to find bread yeast, and told me about the article 3-4 weeks ago I called BS and apparently he tried it. I should ask him how it turned out. Besides, whats the point. He only Drinks Budwiser whatever the heck it is from the blue bottles anyway.

Hangover felt exactly the same as usual...

Latest posts

Back