Yeast when bottling a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm ready to bottle my third batch ever, and my first lager. I have read on here how a lot of people use a third or a half of a packet of dry yeast in the bottling bucket to aid in carbonating the bottles. Can it be ANY yeast? I have an ale yeast from a different kit, and I was wondering if I could use that. The packet says X, ACB 6G Yeast, Premium, Made in EU.

Thanks all!

Hi all,

I'm ready to bottle my third batch ever, and my first lager. I have read on here how a lot of people use a third or a half of a packet of dry yeast in the bottling bucket to aid in carbonating the bottles. Can it be ANY yeast? I have an ale yeast from a different kit, and I was wondering if I could use that. The packet says X, ACB 6G Yeast, Premium, Made in EU.

Thanks all!
This is a practice that I've never used.. There are plenty of yeast in suspension to bottle and get proper carbonation.. even if you cold crash before bottling.. So I wouldn't worry about it.. Just my opinion

... even if you cold crash before bottling..

It's a lager, so he's cold crashing for a few months.

To the OP - any yeast will do. Fermentation is complete (ex. priming sugar), so this yeast will not materially affect your flavor profile. Use what's convenient.

It's a lager, so he's cold crashing for a few months.

To the OP - any yeast will do. Fermentation is complete (ex. priming sugar), so this yeast will not materially affect your flavor profile. Use what's convenient.
I was just throwing the cold crash in there ( for other beers ) I had already answered the question, I don't see why you are suggesting the use of more yeast, Lager yeast are cultured to lager temps.. the only way possible I would even think about putting more yeast in, is if I lager a beer for a year or more.. ( more settling ) but other than that.. there's no reason to..

Hmmm...it's been lagering at 40 degrees for a little over 3 months. So one vote for adding yeast, one vote for not adding. I'd obviously like to keep it simple, but want the bottles to be properly carbed.

I lagered a bock awhile back for about 4 months and didn't add any fresh yeast. It carbed up, but took awhile (2 months to carb). If you add yeast, it'll probably carb a little faster. If you don't, it'll still carb.

I'm curious about this as well as I'll be bottling my first lager in two weeks. I was planning on adding dry US-05, about a half a packet. I've read that many commercial breweries add yeast at bottling, maybe more due to filtering their beer, idk. I was also planning to add yeast because I recently had an under carbed beer and I don't think it can hurt to add a small amount of yeast back, but I'm open to feedback.

is adding yeast going to hurt anything, no, so i would just add a little bit. I know i read somewhere how much you need... 1million cells/bottle... dont quote me on that.
I think you can use anything you want, i would probably go with a cheap clean yeast... US-05?
just did the research for you, 1/4 dry yeast pack in the bottling bucket... rehydrate first like you normally would.

Okay, I'm gonna use the yeast then. Thanks so much, everyone.

Back