yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
I've seen a few good threads about yeast washing....
Sounds like a good idea...but how much washed yeast should I make a starter with?
Also....how "washed" is it? Will flavors from the previous batch follow into the next?

Should I make a similar style? Can I go from darker to lighter?

collect in a small mason jar, the same one in the yeast washing sticky from Bernie Brewer, and pitch all the slurry after decanting.

Make similar styles. I only use 1028 for stouts and porters, 1056 for pales and ambers, 1007 only for german styles, etc...

If you truly wash your yeast (i.e., by following the Yeast Washing sticky or something similar) you can make any style and you should end up with about 30-50 billion cells (based on my experience) per pint jar. Then use yeastcalc.com to determine your starter size.

If you're just pitching straight yeast cake from a previous brew, then generally you want to go with the same style or darker.

Ever saved and washed yeast from an IPA? The hop aroma and bitterness doesnt wash out

Back