Yeast washing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsethall

Reaction score
Ok, so I did the standard yeast washing technique. Only weird thing is that the yeast is not seperating into three layers. It appears that all the yeast is healthy and viable. Sorry about the pic being sideways, but maybe someone can make heads or tails of this.

3852-img-20110515-201045.jpg

Looks like you had a very clean yeast cake without much hop debris and break material, so I don't think you need to wash any further. This is pretty much what mine looks like as well after a single wash. I strain my wort through a fine mesh when pouring into the fermenter and also have almost no debris/gunk in my fermenter because of that, which makes washing yeast very simple.

the yeast is the white mass on the bottom.

I used rinsed yeast for the first time this weekend and I'm a happy camper. I got a fast fermentation start and a big krauzen on top.

This is the same way my rinsed yeast looked. I decanted some of the beer from the top, gave it a good shake and pitched it in.

Back