yeast washing without swirling water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aupchurch167

Reaction score
Ok,

So I have never washed a batch of yeast or gone into research til recently. But anyways, I was racking my most recent batch about two weeks ago and thought about keeping the yeast. I did not know anything about how to wash yeast and I was in a hurry so I just poured the goodies from the bottom of the ferm into a sanitized jar then tossed it in the fridge. I did not pour in cool pre-boiled water and swirl around and all that jazz.

Is the yeast still going to be good? What should I do with it?

And does anyone have a good reference for learning a lot about yeast?

Yes, the yeast is still good. You should still wash it. You have a jar full of beer, yeast, protein chunks, hop scum and other stuff you don't want to pitch into your next beer.

You can still clean it up - you'll just have to start with a bigger container and some extra water.

Ok,

So I have never washed a batch of yeast or gone into research til recently. But anyways, I was racking my most recent batch about two weeks ago and thought about keeping the yeast. I did not know anything about how to wash yeast and I was in a hurry so I just poured the goodies from the bottom of the ferm into a sanitized jar then tossed it in the fridge. I did not pour in cool pre-boiled water and swirl around and all that jazz.

And does anyone have a good reference for learning a lot about yeast?

that yeast will keep for months, you can pitch that yeast straight into your next beer. nothing wrong with washing yeast but it's not critical that you do wash it. when you wash it you are pouring out lots of yeast along with the trub. some people think that somehow it's bad to have trub in with the beer but it's never been demonstrated to do any detectable harm, it is after all in every beer until it's sent to a brite tank or otherwise packaged.

check out this blog by a member of these boards.
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/

Thanks! I figured it would be good but not sure. I am going to wash and pitch into a starter. If its not contaminated or bad I am going to split and keep it!

Back