Yeast washing trouble. Maltose/ cider yeast experiment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderinodemcie

Reaction score
Hello! I am fairly new to homebrewing and recently started washing my yeast. Here comes the problem, I forgot to label them and seem to have forgot which is which. I should have the ardennes yeast from wyeast(i believe) and I also have a cider yeast from the same company. Now, worse comes to worse I'll just toss them and get more yeast but I would prefer to be a little more resourceful, which brings me to my question. Is it true that cider yeast does not ferment maltose? Since I have about 3 jars of each I figured I could do an experiment to deduce which one is the cider. essentially all I would do is use DME to make a starter for said yeasts, and if my thought process is correct, at the very least one should have a lower gravity than the other(using the same amounts of water, my yeast solution, and DME). Does anyone have any thoughts on the effectiveness of the test? I have yet to find a definitive answer regarding what sugars the cider yeast should ferment. Though..... how could I complain? As I am the one who did not definitively LABEL my friggen jars. Any who thanks for the help in advance.

Back