Yeast Washing - Too many jars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
Been washing yeast for the last several batches, but i'm running into the problem of having too many jars of yeast filling up the fridge. I typically end of up with 4 one-pint jars of yeast per batch washed. I brew about once or twice a month, and I don't think I'm going to be able to use it all up at the rate of one per batch before it is too old.

I was wondering if it would be possible to consolidate the yeast from the one-pint jars into smaller amounts after the yeast has had a chance to settle out. For instance, I was thinking of opening two of the jars of washed yeast (been in the fridge for over a month now), decanting half the liquid from each, then pouring the contents from one into the other. The end result would be twice as much yeast in the one jar, and one less jar in the fridge.

Any downside to doing this? I realize I'll end of with fewer overall jars of yeast, but I don't think there's any way i'm going to be able to use of the 12 jars that I've collected anyway.

I'd say just dump it all into 1 or 2 jars instead of splitting it up. There is no negative I've seen to doing this.

Though I don't think I'd risk it with the ones you already have. Just get rid of the ones you don't need and if you feel the amount of yeast isn't enough in the remaining jars, use a starter.

My thinking is that you only get a certain amount of yeast per jar, so just washing into less jars means you end up with less yeast. Washing into more jars initially, then combining them after 1 week would save room in the fridge and give me more yeast when I make a starter.

Back