Yeast Washing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So I've read the illustrated post on how to wash the yeast. I have read other posts on the subject as well and want to ask a few questions. I have a batch fermenting right now and I have 2 other kits that use the same strain of yeast that I plant to reuse for.

Here are the questions:

The OP of the post mentions that he uses pint sized mason jars. WL vials are so much smaller then 1 pint. I am guessing this is because WL vials are 1st generation and washed yeast is 2nd so a larger cell count is needed. I can get mason jars in 8oz, 16oz or 32oz sizes. Which would be the most practical in terms of usability as well as space. Obviously the smaller the size the more you can fit into a fridge without sacrificing the space that is used by other stuff (beer, food, etc).

Can I get away with 8oz of yeast if I use a starter?
Can I not use a started and just warm up the yeast and pitch it to the wort if I use 16oz?

I found this 4 litre mason jar on CL, its not a screw on cap - can it still be used?

Mason Jars - 4 liter

Thanks in advance!

Anything can be used that can be sanitized. You are only using the jars primarily as settling vessels. You can distribute the thicker slurry anywhere you have cleaned and waiting for it.

Use what ever size you need for your wanted outcome. I like the jars because they hold water, fit in, and are capable of being pressure cooked.

Whats the minimum amount of yeast I can use in 2nd generation? I have seen someone say that according to Mr Malty's calculator he needed about 9oz of yeast. Having said that 8oz jar could work if I use a starter.

You will want a container that has enough yeast to pitch for your batch, or to make a starter from. That is your minimal amount since you can harvest the entire cake if you wanted to and washed it well enough. Yeast settles and compacts for the slurry you see in the vials like white labs, a thinner slurry is what washers typically can accomplish (still thick looking though) so you need a larger container.

The thicker the slurry, the more cells, the less space required.

Back