yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcopen

Reaction score
What is the longest you guys have let your beer sit in the primary before racking off and washing the yeast?

A month wow and no problem reusing the yeast? I have one in the primary for three weeks now and I was getting scared to save the yeast

A month wow and no problem reusing the yeast? I have one in the primary for three weeks now and I was getting scared to save the yeast

I've only washed yeast once and I had it in primary for 3 weeks. I just built a starter with it and it took of nicely.

Would you believe years, but I would not re use the yeast after that long, unless I was doing a sour beer.

Yeast is a tough critter to kill. I mean heck, enough yeast survives at the bottom of a bottle of commercial beer like Bell's to start growing in a small starter. Sure, you'll need to step it up before pitching, but personally I wouldn't really ever pitch washed yeast without a starter, unless it was harvested less than a week prior.

Back