Yeast use by date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
i was cooking beer at my bro's tonight and he pulled out a tube of liquid yeast (white lab) and the use by date was May 08. how long past this date can the yeast safely be used? it was properly refrigerated the entire time. thanks.:confused:

It can be used as long as it's still viable. You can try it by making a starter wort of 1/2 cup DME to 1 pint of water- boil for 10 minutes and then cool. Once cool, pour it into a sanitized container (a growler works great for this) and then add the yeast to it. Cover it with sanitized foil, and shake it several times a day. Sometimes you won't see any sign of fermentation, but that doesn't mean it's not working.

If I'm still unsure that the yeast is ok, after about 4 days, I'll check the SG of that starter. If it's below 1.018 or so, then I know that it fermented. You should see more yeast laying on the bottom, too. If that's the case, the yeast is fine.

I thought it was recommended to use a starter with all liquid yeast?

If so, and if the starter does it thing, then the date on the tube does not matter too much. I think its more of a sell by date, but i could be wrong.

Back