Yeast types?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzweier

Reaction score
I am new to brewing. Only one batch in so far and planning my next one.

I have done a ton of reading about different malts, hops, and extract brewing techniques but I still don't know much about yeast.

I know how it works in regards to beer and the different temps that are required for the different types as well as why but my question is....

What other things do different yeast types attribute to beer? And how do I know what yeast to pick when putting together a recipe?

Cheers,
Matt

That is a question that is easy to write a book on. Perhaps pickup Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation.

Selecting the right yeast for the style is critical to getting the style. That doesn't mean only one strain can make the style though. Also, read up on styles and recipes online to get a feel for what yeasts people are choosing and then brew with that yeast to get a good feel for what it brings to the table.

Check out White Labs web site, they have a good explanation of the yeast types and chart for each one on how it would fit in the style

https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/Styles-Ale.pdf

That's awesome. Thank you! My only other question is are they good for those types because of the way they react during the whole process or do they add a flavor that works well with those styles? Or possibly both lol.

Thank you again!

Cheers

Back