Yeast Trouble, and not the lady kind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrewer

Reaction score
On my 2nd batch of brew, I think the wort was too hot when I pitched the yeast (the liquid stuff) (temp was about 90F). Nothing happened overnight, so I repitched with rehydrated stuff that comes with the malt extract can (only pitched in 1-rehydrated packet). If this does not work, should I start from scratch again and maybe follow temp directions closer, or can I buy some more yeast for a 3rd pitch?

The Batch was supposed to be:
Cincinnati Pale Ale
Ingredients for a 5 gallon batch

* 3-4 lb. Pale malt extract syrup, unhopped
* 2 lb. Amber dry malt extract
* 12 AAU of bittering hops (any variety) For example, 1 oz. of 12% AA Nugget, or 1.5 oz. of 8% AA Perle
* 5 AAU of finishing hops (Cascade or other) For example, 1 oz. of 5% Cascade or 1.25 oz. of 4% Liberty
* 2 packets of dried ale yeast

For the dry malt extract I used hopped (not sure if it comes unhopped, but I though it made a difference in boiling time, so I did the usual 1 hr boil)
-for the finishing hopes I used fuggles

So what should I do if this 2nd pitch of yeast doesn't take?

Sometimes it can take up to 72h for liquid yeast to get going...so be warned you might have an explosive fermentation happening here right quick. Moreover, it should definitely work with the rehydrated yeast now. Give it a couple of days.

I am also trying to get this batch done quickly for new years. I read the Ales are supposed to ferment quicker, will the older yeast (2nd pitch) still do the job in a timely manner?

A couple questions:

1. Did you shake the hell out of the wort to aerate it before you pitched the liquid yeast?
2. Is your airlock/blowoff hose securely attached?

If 1. is no, then there's probably not enough oxygen dissolved in the wort. In that case, lag phase growth of the yeast will increase, taking longer for fermentation to start.

As far as getting it ready for new year's , let's see what's happening in a couple of days. My guess is after pitching 2 packets of yeast into a normal gravity ale you will have a rocking fermentation going very shortly.

mrkristofo said:
Sometimes it can take up to 72h for liquid yeast to get going...so be warned you might have an explosive fermentation happening here right quick. Moreover, it should definitely work with the rehydrated yeast now. Give it a couple of days.

nice, now I've got a 5 gallon beer bomb in the storage room... good thing its a rental. oh well :)

I mean vigorous, not like it's gonna go "boom".

That is, of course, unless the fermenter is sealed instead of having an airlock attached. You've got an airlock on there, right? :)

mrkristofo said:
A couple questions:

1. Did you shake the hell out of the wort to aerate it before you pitched the liquid yeast?
2. Is your airlock/blowoff hose securely attached?

If 1. is no, then there's probably not enough oxygen dissolved in the wort. In that case, lag phase growth of the yeast will increase, taking longer for fermentation to start.

As far as getting it ready for new year's , let's see what's happening in a couple of days. My guess is after pitching 2 packets of yeast into a normal gravity ale you will have a rocking fermentation going very shortly.

1. - did not shake the wort before I pitched the yeast. I took a sanitized sauce pan and ladled the wort into the stainer-fermenter. I watched Good Eats Amber Waves (beer making episode), but wasnt sure how much aeration was needed.

2. the airlock is tight.

-should i plug the airhole and shake the fermenter, or just wait it out?

mrkristofo said:
I mean vigorous, not like it's gonna go "boom".

That is, of course, unless the fermenter is sealed instead of having an airlock attached. You've got an airlock on there, right? :)

oh yeah, its got an airlock :ban:

You're beer should be fine. It's just experiencing a lag. There isn't any need to shake the fermenter at this point. Ladling the wort, while not the ideal method, should have added enough oxygen to the wort to fuel the yeast.

noobrewer said:
1. - did not shake the wort before I pitched the yeast. I took a sanitized sauce pan and ladled the wort into the stainer-fermenter. I watched Good Eats Amber Waves (beer making episode), but wasnt sure how much aeration was needed.

2. the airlock is tight.

-should i plug the airhole and shake the fermenter, or just wait it out?

Wait it out. Shaking won't matter now, because the airspace will be filled with CO2 already. You shake in the beginning to get as much oxygen as you can into the wort, so the yeast can utilize it. Don't open it and add air, because it will start oxidizing the flavors and make the beer nasty. Just wait.

Let me double-check, there's no blurb-blurb-blurb coming out of the airlock at all?

Are you using a carboy or a bucket like Alton used? There's no other leaks anywhere else is there?

Also, Alton didn't use a hydrometer. You're going to want one. In fact, go to the HB store and get one within the next couple of days. You can search for how to use it.

And lastly, if Alton's show was your first introduction to homebrewing, then you're probably not familiar with the golden rule of homebrewing, RDWHAHB:

"Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew" :mug:

Also, have a look at www.howtobrew.com.

mrkristofo said:
Wait it out. Shaking won't matter now, because the airspace will be filled with CO2 already. You shake in the beginning to get as much oxygen as you can into the wort, so the yeast can utilize it. Don't open it and add air, because it will start oxidizing the flavors and make the beer nasty. Just wait.

Let me double-check, there's no blurb-blurb-blurb coming out of the airlock at all?

Are you using a carboy or a bucket like Alton used? There's no other leaks anywhere else is there?

Also, Alton didn't use a hydrometer. You're going to want one. In fact, go to the HB store and get one within the next couple of days. You can search for how to use it.

And lastly, if Alton's show was your first introduction to homebrewing, then you're probably not familiar with the golden rule of homebrewing, RDWHAHB:

"Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew" :mug:

Im using a 8 gal bucket from the brew shop. The lid has a good airtight seal and there is nothing coming out of the airlock. Its cool though, I will wait a few days and see what happens. For the next batch I might get a glass carboy so I can see what is happening inside, then use the plastic bucket to mix the priming sugar and fermented wort. I have also done 1 batch of Mr. Beer, decidedly not my style of brewing...

success! waiting has paid off, it was bubbling up a storm this morning. Good info on the hydrometer, will get one soon. :rockin:

Back