Yeast temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ftrombley

Reaction score
I have one more question for the experts. I'm brewing an Octoberfest beer and it calls for a lager yeast. My spare frig can only go as high as 47 F. I know the optimum temperature for lager yeast is around 55 F. Is 47 F okay or should I use an ale yeast, fermentation temp around 72 F. That temperature I can handle in my room. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Fred

OP
OP
F

ftrombley

Reaction score
Yes, I can go colder than 47 F but it is the warmest it will go before the compressor turns on again or the frig shuts off completely.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
I don't have room for an extra fridge in my apartment, so what I do is buy a a giant 10+ gallon round bucket (check the laundry section at walmart. they're $9), fill it with water and the carboy, and add appropriate amounts of ice twice a day to ensure the temp stays where I want it to.

The high specific heat of water and the large volume prevent temperature fluctuations. I never had it change more than 2-3 degrees.

Hang Glider

Beer Drinker
Reaction score
Another option would be to get a temp controller - Ranco, Johnson, Love, others... and plug the fridge into it. You can dial in the temp you want, and the controller will cycle the fridge as needed.

petep1980

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wyeast 2206 can do as low as 46. Just make sure you d-rest it and you should be fine. Also make a sizeable starter.

Or get a thermomstat.