Yeast Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
Well - I finally ordered my Stone IPA clone from a very reputable 'online' homebrew store.

Although the yeast was packaged with a cold-pak, it was very warm - it felt like the yeast had been at room temperatures for several hours (no signs of cold).

Question - is the yeast still good? I don't want to eff around with my $60 box of ingredients and not to mention the time it takes to brew only to have bad or inactive yeast.

I have since placed the yeast and hops in the fridge but need to know if the yeast is now tainted.:confused:

If it is a smack pack and you plan on brewing in the next little while, smack it and let it swell. When it swells, make a starter with it. when you have enough yeast built up.THEN you should brew. If it is a vial, make the starter the same as you would for a smack pack.

Yep, if it's a smack pack you should be able to do that before you start brewing and see if it puffs up which would show it's viable. If it's a white labs vial you should really be making a starter anyway, which would ultimately tell you if the yeast are good or not.

But I've had liquid yeast get shipped 3 days in 90+ degree heat and only a tiny ice pack and even though the package arrived quite hot the yeast were fine.

So, if it's an activator or propagator pack, smack it and see if it puffs up. Good to go. Otherwise, make a starter and see if you get any activity. At any rate, IMO you should be making a starter with liquid yeast anyway regardless.

At any rate, IMO you should be making a starter with liquid yeast anyway regardless.

Really? I just got my first order that included a liquid yeast and I was going to follow their instructions which don't mention making a starter. Is this a rule for all liquid yeast?

If it's an activator pack, they do claim it's enough for lower gravity brews without a starter (I think less than 1.60 they say). But generally speaking, it's still going to be under pitching. Many people get by just fine without one, but it's just one more possible snag in the process that could be avoided.

All - thanks for the quick responses. This is a vile 'test tube' of yeast - not a smack-pak. I plan on brewing tomorrow but have allready put it back in the fridge. Eff-it, I am going to get a new one - rather spend $6 than loose $60.

Thanks.

Back