Yeast taste developing, green beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keynes

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a beer that has been in the primary for 2 and a half weeks. FG readings are stable at 1.016 (OG 1.055). I used US-04. Was planning to bottle on the weekend but am having second thoughts. Over the past couple of days the beer has begun to pick up a yeasty taste (although it is reasonably clear with a little sediment). I am wondering if this is a symptom of the beer being "green" or something more sinister? (Being a newbie, I have little experience with respect to what green beer tastes like). Thinking perhaps I should push bottling back another week?

Cheers

If the final gravity is stable you are ok to bottle. What was the expected final gravity? I would not worry about it tasting like yeast now. I don't worry if I don't like the taste when I take a sample at bottling time,I give it 2 to 3 weeks in the bottle at least then I try one and see what I think.

You say over the last couple days it has picked up a yeast taste,how often are you sampling it.or is the sample when you took gravity readings?

I noticed that the longer the beer sits in primary, particularly at warm (not fridge) temperatures, the more yeast character it picks up. Some people like that, and leave their beers in the primary for a month, while others prefer a less aggressive yeast character (like me). If it's been in the primary already for 2.5 weeks, you can bottle it whenever you'd like. I typically package at about 10-14 days, especially with a yeast strain like S04 that leaves nice clear beer by that time.

My samples almost always taste a little yeasty from primary. I'd expect it to taste "green" for at least 3 weeks in the bottle and maybe a week in the fridge.

My samples almost always taste a little yeasty from primary. I'd expect it to taste "green" for at least 3 weeks in the bottle and maybe a week in the fridge.

When I was bottling, I think four weeks is optimal. It took two weeks for carbonate, and (this is my opinion), took another week for carbonic acid to form.

The beer would be carbonated enough in two weeks, but wouldn't tasted "mature" for another two. Make sense?

Thanks for your responses. I will bottle it up, tuck it away and try one in 4 weeks or so. I must say though, it tasted pretty bad - I could barely finish the couple of monthfuls due to the very strong yeast aftertaste. It actually tastes pretty nice a week ago - I could taste the caramel flavour of the malts etc, so I wonder if I left it on the yeast cake too long?

2.5 weeks in primary, it did not sit on the yeast too long. Relax beer does not alwas taste good pre bottling.Yes most of the time I taste mine when I bottle it so I no what uncarbed beer taste like. Give it 2 to 3 weeks or more in the bottle then see what it taste like. Chance are it will taste fine.

Back