Yeast suggestion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whysomalty

Reaction score
I’m brewing a Pale Ale hopped with only Chinook this weekend. Grain bill will either be all pale malt or maybe a slight addition (4%) of Caravienne or Caramel 60 (color and slight sweetness).

It was recently suggested to use WLP002 instead of the standard Chico I would use for this kind of beer.

Can someone help me understand what one may taste as the difference in a standard pale ale (or SMaSH) with WLP002? I’ve used Chico plenty of times and enjoy it. Descriptors from White Labs’ website aren’t sufficient for me to dive in. Just trying to get a feel for what I can expect. Thoughts/comments are appreciated.

It depends on the beer - Chinook used liberally will tend to swamp more subtle yeast flavours, but the lower attenuation of WLP002/1968 could round off some of its harsher corners. One thing you will notice is the way it drops like a rock, it usually benefits from rousing in the early stages of fermentation (which need be no more complicated than a stir with a sanitised long spoon). White Labs have a comparison just on the technical aspects in a 45IBU 6% ESB here.

Don't be afraid to step out of your yeast comfort zone! :)

Thanks for the advice! Worked up a 2L starter of WLP002 last night... it’s chugging along with A LOT of activity right now. Brewing on Sunday. Cheers!
38930E57-B83D-4E44-B266-F77BC10B4394.jpeg

Back